Setting up 40g reef...few q's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmh2536

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just set back up my previous FOWLR 40g tank and now plan on making it a reef. For filtration I have a Remora w/Maxi1200, about 50lb of base rock and I just set up a closed loop system today using a Mag 9.5. This weekend I'm going to stop by my LFS and pick up some very lively LR which will hopefully spread to the base rock(?). I currently have about an inch or less of CC as my substrate, but it seems the trend around here is a DSB. Would I be safe to just add the sand on top of the CC....I plan to make the SB about 3 inches. I've also been looking at this lighting setup(http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=ES53404)...Could someone explain to me what kind of corals would thrive best under this lighting? Thanks in advance!

Is this 40 normal or 40 breeder? Either way, it should be adequte for most LPS and soft corals. Some hardy SPS may be ok, but it depends a lot more on the general health of the tank.

It's a 40g normal, dimensions are 36"x15"x16". I also plan to build a denitrator this weekend, which hopefully will keep nitrates at zero(a few months from now). Anyways, thanks for the info theatrus.

Yeah at 16" depth you should be fine with 2x96W. Though I would price out a T5 setup as they're more efficient than the current crop of CF lighting.

T5 is most efficient when you have an induvidual reflector per bulb.

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=SL2113

Its $19 above your max though, and does not include bulbs. With the induvidual reflectors you are getting more light then the CF fixture, and it uses less power too. Its the newest fluorescent technology. But CF isn't bad at all. I'd probably save the money for now and throw a little more cash at something else if you need it, or at a nice coral :)

And to anwser your sand question: I'd pull out the CC in parts and replace it with about an inch or two of sand. Mixing CC and sand will lead to the sand settling to the bottom of the CC over time.

Well I'm starting to lean torwards the 36" 4-39w Tek T5 light. Do you think it will be suitable for all corals? I'd rather buy a setup I know I won't need to upgrade.

EDIT: Also been checking out some cheap MH retrofit kits on Hellolights. Seems I can get a 250w HQI setup for about $200...do you think one 250w MH bulb would be able to light an entire 36in tank? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom