setting up a 30 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minpin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey I'm completely new to salt water aquariums. i read the articles in the articles part of this page.....it helped alittle to understand what to do but didn't really answer all my questions. so any help would be great.
first off I'm just going to be doing a little 29 gallon tank.
1.. the tank is already established for fresh water would it be possible to just add instant ocean to it....

1. a. if i could do that could i just take out he existing rocks on the bottom and add new substrate..

2. what to use for substrate at the bottom of my tank.. should i use live sand or what.

3. what is the difference between cure live rock and live rock.

4. do i need a protein skimmer.

5. do i have to have additives for the water like the stuff from Kent marine that has trace elements in it.

6. how many fish can i have in a tank this size and keep the water healthy.. or is that really dependent on the types of fish and whatnot.

really i guess what I'm looking for is a guide from start to finish on how to establish a salt water tank. thanks

well I too just started my first salt water...29gall.....and I dont think you can just add salt..I belive you need to just empty it,..clean it (to get the freshwater chemicles out) then mix the water/salt in a 5 gall or so bucket and fill it up after you add the subtrate...for subtrate you can use a lot of things but the best is sand...like agralive,..also, cured and non cured rock is very different, cured rock is live rock that has been cleaned for 2 weeks to a month or so to get off unwanted guest like icky worms etc. and non cured is live rock with all the bad stuff still on it ( I will have to find the article that explains in more detail) and a protien skimmer would be VERY bennefisal as it is better than a HOB filter, cause what it does is get all the nitrates and deteriorized (sp) food and stuff like that and it draws it in with bubbles and..oh I will have to find that article to! and for the fish, you can have fish like clown fish, goby's, and such, it depends on what you want! Let me see if I can find you a good article reall quick!

No you`ll need to start out with Freshly made SW. BR had a good idea when he said empty it out and clean it out. I would get mostly dry sand and add LS to it and it will seed all the sand. Agralive is OK but if your LFS has some real LS it would be better to seed with. Cured LR is LR that has beneficial nitrifying bacteria on it from curing in a tank or vat. A protien Skimmer would be excellent as it will remove DOC`S that end up being nitrates that fuel bad algeas. No you do not need supplements as PWC`S will do all that if done in timely manner. Yes amount of fish will depend on size of tank and type of fish. As far as a guide you just ask the questions and we will answer. Good Luck.

Hi Minpin, welcome to AA.

1. Can you elaborate? You mean it's filled right now with freshwater? Or is it all setup with decos and such? I would dump it all and start new. Do you have access to RO water at your local grocery store? That would be ideal to fill with.

2. The beauty about all this is creating what YOU like best. Check out your sand options and pick one that you like the best. I will say that I would stay away from crushed coral and oolite sand. They are too big, and too fine, respectively, for my liking. Regular aragonite sand is best. I used aragonite sand first, then covered it with a layer or Arag-alive livesand. Regardless, your sand will become "live" over time.

3. Cured is full of beneficial bacteria, and like blazey said, it usually is void of critters. Uncured rock is not fully established with nitrifying bacteria, and usually comes with critters.

4. Reccomened if you want to do a reef tank. If you wish to do fish only, IMO skimmers are not needed.

5. None at all. Just your sea salt.

6. I have a 29 gallon with 2 Ocellaris clownfish and a lawnmower blenny. I may consider adding in another nano fish, but that would be about the extent of the fish I would add. 3-4.

HTH. And don't be afraid to ask!

Back
Top Bottom