Setting up a (Saltwater) 72 gallon bow front?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yellow Tang 2

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay I got everything now.I got 80 pounds of live sand should i put all 80 pounds in or no?I have the salt mixture for the tank.I am going to hook everything up and put my sand and water in. I am not sure if i am going 2 get cured or uncured live rock.I am going to do this tom.This is what i currently have . Filter,water pump ,lights, heater, glass top, . When i get the rock do i start testing my tank? How long does the cyling process take ?

Go to the article section of the site (link in my sig) and read about cycling your tank.

I would put all 80lbs in the tank and you may find you want more then that. The cycle process can take several weeks. I would get as much base rock and you can and then buy a few pieces of LR to seed the tank with.

What kind of lights do you have and what kind of filter? The glass tops are not a good idea for a SW tank. They will cause you to have pH issues. Open top is much better.

I put 80 pounds of live sand in mine 72 gallon bow and I think 100 would have made it a little more even though

I put 80 pounds of live sand in mine 72 gallon bow and I think 100 would have made it a little more even though
The filter is a xp2 and the lights i am not sure but they are bright.I did a water test without rock in it.It is mixted now the first time it said 1.020 second time said 1.019 third time said 1.023

Are you using a hydrometer or a refractometer to test the SG?
Hydrometer and i am getting uncured live rock. So how should i do my cyling process?I heard that if you get uncured live rock thatcould be 1 way is this true.If not i am going 2 put a dead shrimp in there.If i have 2 do the shrimp how long will it take?

As far as measuring your salinity you`ll be better off with a refractometer. As Far as the LR I would put it in the tank and kill two birds with one stone and cycle the tank and cure the LR at the same time. There will probably be enough die off on the rock to jump start the cycle.

As far as measuring your salinity you`ll be better off with a refractometer. As Far as the LR I would put it in the tank and kill two birds with one stone and cycle the tank and cure the LR at the same time. There will probably be enough die off on the rock to jump start the cycle.
Ok i will probaly get some chrome's next weekend 2 help it

A fishless cycle can take anywhere from 4-6 weeks. I would shoot for 1 raw, jumbo shrimp per 30 gallons.

Yeah, use the shrimp and LR to cycle the tank and not fish. If you get several lbs of cured LR you can speed the process up by introducing a good bacteria colony.

Definitely want to get a refractometer.

Yeah, use the shrimp and LR to cycle the tank and not fish. If you get several lbs of cured LR you can speed the process up by introducing a good bacteria colony.

Definitely want to get a refractometer.
Ok i will get some cured live rock.once i get my rock in do i start testing my tank?

Back
Top Bottom