setting up after losing my fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eyeappeal

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have a 55 gal salt water tank, w/ 24 lbs. live rock, and recently lost a french angel, picaso trigger, and a clown triger, to what i think was velvet disease.. all my parameters in the tank were normal, and tank was about a year old.

its been 3 weeks and i have been cycling the tank, and all parameters are fine, so today i added a 2 inch koran angel to start off. i would like to add at some point a clown trigger and then a powder blue tang.

should i be concerned with this disease that took my other prize posetions?

how long until i add the trigger?

what should i do if i see signs of this disease again?

thanks for any info....

should i be concerned with this disease that took my other prize posetions?

3 weeks is just this side of safe. The tank should be left fishless for about 4 weeks, 5 or 6 is better. Also with proper quarantine, parasitic infestation is not a problem.

i added a 2 inch koran angel to start off. i would like to add at some point a clown trigger and then a powder blue tang.

IMO, a 55g will not hold these fish for long. As the fish grow they will need a larger tank, minimum of 125g for those three fish.

I share Kevin's opinion on the planned livestock. If you had your inhabitants for a while in the first set up. It is possible that given the small size of the tank, stress eventually led to the disease eventually showing up. Remember the propensity for diseases is always there, that is why it is important to keep the fishes healthy and stress free. Otherwise they are prone to disease. 8)

I wanted to agree with the other views mentioned so that you understand the seriousness of the issue at hand. None of those fish are appropriate for a 55g tank and will most likely lead to complications before too long. There are many other fish more appropriate that could easily be your stunning showpieces!

Back
Top Bottom