Setting up and keeping my QT cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Sorry about all the questions but the time has finally come...

I have an extra 15 gal. lying around that was only used as a fresh for about 3 weeks.

I want to use this as my QT. for fish/inverts but due to limited space, do not want to keep it running all the time.

If I run a small HOB filter on the main tank, I should be able to transfer the HOB and media to the QT. and I should be cycled correct?

If so I was planning on waiting to run an HOB until my cycle completes. My thinking is that if I do it right away my bacteria will establish with the HOB as a factor as far as bioload?

And....what is a good HOB for a S/W QT? Bio wheel type like marineland?

Thanks

If I run a small HOB filter on the main tank, I should be able to transfer the HOB and media to the QT. and I should be cycled correct?

I am not 100% sure, but I don't think this will be completely cycled, right away. You probably could add some tank water, when you do your PWC to the QT and then add the HOB filter. The reason I say that is the biowheel will need to cultivate bacteria. Once it does that, then you can move it over and will have a short cycle. Possibly even as quickly as 24hours, or so. Some one please feel free to correct me.

As for the biowheel, use it to speed the cycle. Once you QT a fish, due to disease, you will have to remove the biowheel/carbon, otherwise the meds (if used) can possibly kill the beneficial bacteria and the carbon will filter out the meds.

I can't help you there. I'm sure someone with a HOB will have a good suggestion.

Mike469 said:
Sorry about all the questions but the time has finally come...

I have an extra 15 gal. lying around that was only used as a fresh for about 3 weeks.

I want to use this as my QT. for fish/inverts but due to limited space, do not want to keep it running all the time.

If so I was planning on waiting to run an HOB until my cycle completes. My thinking is that if I do it right away my bacteria will establish with the HOB as a factor as far as bioload?

Thanks

Whisper 20 will do just fine

I use a large AquaClear on my display tank. This is only for easy insertion of chemical filtration. However, it has a large sponge under the chemical media which provides mechanical filtration and is easy to clean periodically.

When I set up my 10gal QT I put a small HOB on the tank and put the bacteria laden sponge from my display tank HOB into the small QT HOB. Then a new sponge goes into the large HOB on the display tank. The QT is filled with water from the display tank during a PWC.

Since I'm rather new at this, I'd appreciate anyone's opinion on this method.

I like the aquaclears...they make smaller ones that will do well for your needs. The huge sponge in them makes a wonderful bacteria base and you dont have to worry about a biowheel. I have 5 aquaclears and I don't think they can be beat for HOB. I keep an extra one hanging on one of the 55's just in case I ever need it for a hospital tank. If it were me, I would cycle my filter/sponge with the cycling of the tank.

hth

Back
Top Bottom