setting up, lights and UV stabilizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

[ryan]

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is it possible to just get a 2-4 bulb fixture form the hardware store, then go to the fish store and get the necessary bulbs?

Just got my 55 gal tank and filter and stabilizer...what steps do i take now? can i just set all the equipment up add salt water and let it go? Can i let the tank run with just salt water in it, no substrate or rocks. And how do i set up this UV stabilizer? does it go inline with the external filter? If so, before or after filter?

Thanks for the advice so far!

do you mean a UV steralizer?
If so you need to check the recomended flow rate on it and if it matches the flowrate of the external filter. If the flow is to high you can t off on the return side and adjust the flow trough the UV steralizer.
Lights: yes you can do that.

What kind of tank do you want?????

You could use NO IF you're just doing FO or FOWLR system. A 9 watt UV sterilizer is good enough for a 55 gal tank. You could hook it directly to the PH or you could do an inline method by hooking it to the outflow of a canister filter. This method is recommended because the filter helps prevent fish food get inside the UV = less cleaning. Just make sure what ever you hook to have the right GPH so your UV can perform its job. Good Luck!

You have to be very careful with the UV and the flow thru the unit. To fast of flow and the unit becomes ineffective. We have two wonderful artciles on UV units in our articles area that will help give you a better understanding of what the UV is good for and how to configure it for proper flow.

Back
Top Bottom