Setting up my new Salt Water tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would say the rock to keep it live you would need heater and water flow with proper salt amounts and to feed it. Live sand is a waste of money.

Aragonite Sand Is the way to go. It will become live very fast and you would be amazed at the life that comes out of your LR and moves into your sand. You can also get a couple of handfulls of live sand from a friend or your LFS and just put that in to get your sand going even faster,

I would say the rock to keep it live you would need heater and water flow with proper salt amounts and to feed it. Live sand is a waste of money.

Thanks,

What is the proper temperature?
What should be the proper salinity or specific Gravity?
Oh, and what should I feed my Live Rock?

Raudel

Aragonite Sand Is the way to go. It will become live very fast and you would be amazed at the life that comes out of your LR and moves into your sand. You can also get a couple of handfulls of live sand from a friend or your LFS and just put that in to get your sand going even faster,

Thanks, I'll do Aragonite Sand then. (Now what color to choose?) I currently have 50lbs of Black Sand but many say White sand is the way to go.

I've seen, Black, White or natural, even Golden. Anyone have any pointers/tips as to which color should I get and why?

Raudel

Thanks, I'll do Aragonite Sand then. (Now what color to choose?) I currently have 50lbs of Black Sand but many say White sand is the way to go.

I've seen, Black, White or natural, even Golden. Anyone have any pointers/tips as to which color should I get and why?

Raudel

Black is beautiful when you first put it in but it gets "dirty" looking very quickly and requires more maintance than natural or white.

Black is beautiful when you first put it in but it gets "dirty" looking very quickly and requires more maintance than natural or white.

So Black I'll do away with the Black then.

So we are left with Natural, White, or Golden.
Anyone recommend one over the other for any specific reasons?
Any photos that my help me choose?

Raudel

Anyone know how the make "Black Aragonite sand or is it aragonite?

It's your pick. The one that you like best.

The reason why I ask for Sand color recommendations, is because once it's in the display tank it is pretty much there to stay. I don't want to make a mistake and then tell my self I should have gotten another color. Do you know which brings out more the color in a tank, the natural feel, which one does better when dirty, which looks better with corals, Which does better with the lighting, etc.??

YOU ask how to make black aragonite sand? Good question. I was given 50lbs in a bucket with saltwater, but I think it was bought this way.

Raudel

Thanks,

What is the proper temperature?
What should be the proper salinity or specific Gravity?
Oh, and what should I feed my Live Rock?

Raudel

Same temp and salinity as your main tank is best... as for food for the LR, most sources of ammonia work for your tank. (any fish food or dieing plant material... I even saw one place that said urine was an okay source to keep your rock "cycled") the easiest way would just be a little fish food every now and then. (not sure how much you need for your rock you would have to ask someone else)

I've been trying to find a 80gal+ sump, but no joy!

BUT!!! I found a 100 gallong Glass aquarium for $30 dollars in craigslist. PHOTOS Attached.

I was wondering if you guys think it's a good idea to place this 100gal tank under my 265gal as a sump, I mean, it was cheap anyway. I would just need to set up the bubble traps etc...

I'll appreciate all ur opinions, and if u have a special design for me which I can use then sketch it and let me know so I can go buy the acrylic to divide the tank. And if u recommend drilling this glass tank for a pressing reason, let me know, I'll do it!

100 gal tank dimensions (60.5"L x 18.5"W x 23.25"T)

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Raudel

Attachments

• IMAG0765.jpg
    IMAG0765.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMAG0766.jpg
    IMAG0766.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMAG0769.jpg
    IMAG0769.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMAG0770.jpg
    IMAG0770.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 71
I say that more volume is better and I would probably do a part of it as a refuge as well... for $30 that's a steal... did you do a leak test and are you going to re-silicone the seams?

I say that more volume is better and I would probably do a part of it as a refuge as well... for $30 that's a steal... did you do a leak test and are you going to re-silicone the seams?

The tank is leak tight. I don't think I'll need to re-silicone.

Raudel

wow man you are realy getting deals. for the 100 gal great idea IMO i would make part of it as a refugium it will keep you tank cleaner

wow man you are realy getting deals. for the 100 gal great idea IMO i would make part of it as a refugium it will keep you tank cleaner

I bought the 100gal in Stockton, CA, I'm from Merced, CA. The tank was supposed to be a 150gal, the selling price was $80 bucks but I convinced the seller to sell it to me for $40 bucks. When I got to Stockton, after 50 minutes of driving, I saw the tank and realized it was a 100gallon tank, I played a little upset as if I felt I was being cheated! So she apologized and said I could take it for $30. I would've still given her the $40 bucks for the tank, LOL! And as for the trip to Stockton...I had to drive up there anyway.

Cool! So it sounds like I should keep the tank as a sump. This tank will be going into the Stand from the top. Once it is in, It can't come out due to the tank dimensions compared to the door openings in the Stand. I don't have the Stand yet, but it is built and just waiting for delivery.

Given the size of this future sump I would appreciate several design ideas. I've checked many sump designs but I wouldn't mind more help from u guys.

So, where do I put the acrylic dividers?

Thanks in advance.

Raudel

So Raudel, you're the guy that ripped my sister off on that tank sale.....................Not hahaha just kidding lol

Back
Top Bottom