Setting up my new Salt Water tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RaudelJr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

Yee! I feel so excited and nervous, I don't want to mess up. Well here is my story on my last tank purchase:

I decided to go saltwater because I've always wanted one and then luckily I went to craigslist and found a 259 gallon Salt water tank for $325 dollars with all needed supplies. (At least that is what they said.) I went and paid for the tank and found out that the seller was selling the tank for a friend who is in jail. So, poor guy, he's getting his favorite hobbie's supplies sold out at extremely cheap prices. This tank being the biggest loss for him.

Well I have the whole package! But what to do????? I was told it was installed in a wall before, so I don't have a stand. (I'll have to have one built). I have a ton of pumps and tubing, a big filtering thing, a second aquarium that they said goes under the BIG aquarium for water circulation. And then a third tank that they said they kept in the garage with treated water, I think. I also have this huge lamp! I bet this lamp alone is about $1000 dollars. I have STUFF! What do I do with all? is it all that is needed? Do I need anything else?

I was hoping a could post pictures of all the items I have so someone could take a look at them and let me know if I was ripped off or not. And if I have all items needed to get started or If I need anything else.

I will do a lot of reading, A LOT, both internet and books. (the package purchase included several books I've already started to read). But if this forum can Help I would really appreciate it. I do not plan on buying FISH for several months, I expect to get comfortable with the water quality for at least 3 months or even more if I need to buy additional filtration.

Let me know if anyone is willing to help me out and I'll sort everything out to take meaningfull photos.

Thanks to all in advance.

Raudel

Oh heck yes! That's what we do here. Help. read our articles section on cycling a SW tank. That'll explain what you'll be doing for those 3 months while you "get comfortable with the water quality". Getting comfortable with the water will continue as you begin to stock it with fish and inverts.

Tell us first if you can more about the lighting. That'll determine if you do fish only or reef/coral and fish and what types of corals.

I'd also guess that with your current level of knowldge about the hobby and your recent purchase, we can get you set up with fish by about July or August. :) :)

Well, kinda serious about that, depending on your ability to possible spend a bit more if needed and do some research. Will likely need a few new and inexpensive plumbing pcs at least.

You've come to the right place. We love projects and pictures, and you've got (or will have) both for us. C'mon, let's get started! Why aren't the pics up yet?? C'mon, c'mon!! :) :)

All that said, patience is the key to a successful hobby experience.

I would agree with austinsdad... Your gunna be a while...lol

Man I have to say thats how i got in this hobby. Someone gave me a tank i didn't buy it but i didn't have a clue one about how to set it up or nothing. And of course i didn't have everything so me and the owner of my LFS became real good friends quick!
He had been in this hobby about 30 years. He gave me tons of advice and also had alot of books and things he loaned me to read. So the AA will be able to help you allot, but the first thing i would do is get acquainted with my LFS. And try to find the biggest best one in your area. I wouldn't recommend pet smart or petco or anything like that.
Try to find a locally owned private fish store. Most of the big chain store have a bunch of people that know nothing and you will end up waisting allot of money
And like austinsdad said get some good pics on here so people can see what you have to tell you if you have what you need. There are somethings you have to have, and certain things can wait till your budget allows!

Good luck!

Tagging along for the ride. Hope it's a smooth one. :)

I sure hope so! Thanks! Hope you guys can download the link to my photos. I was hoping I could attach multiple photos through but the system only allows 4 attachments per post which means I would have to post 19 post separately, thus, the adrive link is a better option and there was no need to resize the photos.

I'm on stand by for any advice, thanks!

Raudel

WOW you paid 325 for ALL of that? you got an AWESOME deal! the tank by itself its worth that IMO. First you are going to need a stand or are you going to put it in the wall? Once you get that you can plan out your plumbing. the tank with the "baffles" is your sump and will go beneath your main tank. Makes a great place to put heaters, protein skimmers and such where its out of sight.

would really suggest you do some reseach and read some article before you actually start putting anything in the tank!! even water!!
its better to have at least some idea on what you are doing than don't know much and just jump in.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/stock-list-and-tips-for-maintaining-your-sw-tank-73477.html

Thanks, I've read the initial tips, and have a bit more understanding of the whole SW ideals. I honestly want to get the best equipment possible even if it takes me months to aquire all.

From the Photos I submited in a post above. Who of you can come up with proper tank Stand dimensions to hide all possible filter and to provide sufficient hidden plumbing? The Photos have a tape measure to provide all the tank(s) dimmensions. The tank stand will be on top concrete slab but right next to the concrete slab I have a section of the house with elevaded floor where I mean to provide tap water access and drainage as well as all the utility outlet needs.

What do you guys think? What else do I need to buy that is not included in the photos. I will clean everything as good as possible and are pretty skillfull with the required plumbing.

I'll appreciate any inputs specially for the stand dimensions which is my current next expense and I want it to be as perfect as possible for my tank needs.

Thanks in advance, I'm so glad I found the forum full of experts.

Raudel

Not sure if you have any carpentry skills but if so you can build your stand yourself. I built mine. I was given a 125 but no stand. The guy i got it from went to a 150 and kept the stand.
It didn't cost me much at all. 2 sheets of birch plywood some stain and a couple hinges wood glue and screws. Maybe 100$ total and one weekend. That was the first thing i did before anything. I got the tank where i wanted it and up on the stand. Then placed the sump under the stand and started working out the plumbing.

Sorry I can't comment on the specifics of the salt water gear because I am a freshwater guy but it looks to me like you got yourself a steal. That tank is huge. Now, for the stand, you want the entire bottom edge of the tank supported so I would find something 1/4" to 1/2" bigger than the dimensions of the bottom brace. I made my own stand and this is how I did it. The middle of the tank does not need to be supported as the only thing that touches is the perimeter of the tank. If you want, tip it up a bit and see there is a gap from the bottom pane of glass to the floor. Do you plan on making your own or do you plan on buying one. It will be hard to give you height dimensions because it depends on your protein skimmer height or anything else tall you want under your tank. I personally made mine a bit taller but this also makes it more prone to tipping so you need so extra front to back support. I haven't finished mine completely yet (I just have the skeleton made) but when I get the "skin" made, I'll post you some pics. For that size tank, you will need some serious bracing. I think I would personally like 4 x 4 bracing but not out of an actual 4x4 but with 2 2x4's glued and screwed together. I've heard too many stories of 4x4's warping and twisting. Make sure you think about sump maintenance/removal/replacement when you design the stand. If you have to put it in from the top of the stand, once the tank is filled there is no getting that thing out of there.

Looks like you got some decent equipment and it should at least get you started. Good luck and as always, ask first if unsure and someone here should be able to help.

welcometoaa.gif

Some more pics would help. Include more closeups showing manufacturer and model number if you can find a label. Here's a quick list of what I saw:

MAG0608/9 Coralife 48" T5 (dual tube??) Model number would help. Probably light for the sump/refugium
Coralife 6' 250w MH / 4x96 PC MAIN TANK LIGHT
Gen-X PCX-70HP main pump - return from sump to tank?
MD-55 pump - probably for the skimmer
Tank 84 x32 high x 24 deep
SpectraPure RO unit (3 stage??) 1 sediment, 1 carbon, 1 membrane - NO DI

IMG0636 appears to be HOB skimmer - not sure of brand or quality
IMG0637 appears to be skimmer parts - not sure of brand or quality
IMG0638 more pics please
IMG0640 Sump
IMG0645 cooling fans and gloves (obvious)
IMG0647 RIO 600 pump
IMG0650 pumps / power heads
IMG0651 power head
IMG0653 SEIO M820 power head
IMG0654 QuiteOne 2200 pumps
IMG0657/8 MagDrive pumps (Model 9.5B)
IMG0662 possible refugium? older sump
IMG0664 older sump or wet/dry with bioballs? use it as a fuge, skip the bioballs
Looks like you also got an octogon tank
IMG0668/9 Power heads (Koralia 4)

Do you have any photos of how it was set up before you got it?

Thanks,

I'm about to read all from my phone. I'll reply with feedback. thanks

Raudel

The height of the stand is just personal preference and clearance needed for any equipment you will house under the tank. If you plan on using the equipment you have, measure the tallest equipment and make sure you give yourself room for equipment removal. Then all you have to do is take outside measurements of the bottom brace and add 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch to that and you have your rectangular dimensions. Look here for a good basic stand design with instructions. AQUARIUM STAND CONSTRUCTION

welcometoaa.gif

Some more pics would help. Include more closeups showing manufacturer and model number if you can find a label. Here's a quick list of what I saw:

MAG0608/9 Coralife 48" T5 (dual tube??) Model number would help. Probably light for the sump/refugium
Coralife 6' 250w MH / 4x96 PC MAIN TANK LIGHT
Gen-X PCX-70HP main pump - return from sump to tank?
MD-55 pump - probably for the skimmer
Tank 84 x32 high x 24 deep
SpectraPure RO unit (3 stage??) 1 sediment, 1 carbon, 1 membrane - NO DI

IMG0636 appears to be HOB skimmer - not sure of brand or quality
IMG0637 appears to be skimmer parts - not sure of brand or quality
IMG0638 more pics please
IMG0640 Sump
IMG0645 cooling fans and gloves (obvious)
IMG0647 RIO 600 pump
IMG0650 pumps / power heads
IMG0651 power head
IMG0653 SEIO M820 power head
IMG0654 QuiteOne 2200 pumps
IMG0657/8 MagDrive pumps (Model 9.5B)
IMG0662 possible refugium? older sump
IMG0664 older sump or wet/dry with bioballs? use it as a fuge, skip the bioballs
Looks like you also got an octogon tank
IMG0668/9 Power heads (Koralia 4)

Do you have any photos of how it was set up before you got it?

Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of how it was set up before I got it. I just know it was set up in a wall instead of a Stand.

You say some of the parts are Old, Are they still usable? Do I have everything I need or do I need to purchase more items. I'm guessing the small aquarium that goes under with separating glass inside is what everyone is calling the sump. Is it big enough to handle the BIG aquarium or should I get a bigger one? Do I need to buy a skimmer? Are the pumps enough to handle all wateer cycling loads?

As for the Stand, I was thinking about making the Stand 3ft tall using a strong frame as instructed above. I might also add a top cabinet to hide the lamp and to maybe provide a vent to get all the water vapor straight out through the roof to avoid any water smell entering the inside of the house. I'm really going to take this in baby steps!!!

So, to begin the first move. If I tell my friend to make me a 3ft tall Stand using the Lenght and width dimensions of the tank as basis for the complete frame. Would that provide enough room for all the Filtering systems? I am going to attempt to have a full blown Salt Water Tank with live Corrals, Rock, Sand, etc.. Sure it will be a process that will take a long time, but I would like to know that my Stand was built right to care for all y aquarium needs.

Also, Do you experts consider it necessary to forget all the filtering I have and simply buy an entirely new filtering system? If so, what kind of filtering system should I buy for my tank size? I will have a tap water faucet and drain right next to the aquarium. (Plumbing work to begin once I have it all planed out.)

As for the lighting I couldn't find a model number, it was probably a sticker that ended up falling off within time put that thing is heavy!!! will it sufice?

Sorry for all the questions, I am reading all your answers and will re read them over and over until it all sinks into my head.

One last question. Since my aquarium is used and quite dirty, what to dou recommend to clean my aquarium and to remove all the residue/salt/minerals that are all dried out. I even believe I have dry coral that began growing on the sides glass of the aquarium.

You know what would really help? First ME, I got to do a lot more research and read a lot more about everything. I'll be making time for that soon. But whaht would also help a bunch is a little diagram that labels my tank, The most recommended filter and it's best position in the tank and or Stand, skimmer? Sump? Wet Dry? do I need all? and where should I position them in my Stand or tank? I've also been hearing about bioballs. where do I install them? do I need them?

Sorry once more for all the questions which most probably sound pretty lame. I know many would be answered if I just read. I'll be doing that soon. But anything you reply here I will most certaintly read aswell to add to my knowledge.

LOL, I think I'm asking for a personal aquarium designer...

Thanks in advance!

Raudel

I still consider myself a beginner to saltwater and still haven't tried a sump yet, so I can't really answer your questions or draw you a diagram, but I do have some links to share to get you started on your reading/research. :)

Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sumps, Part I by Greg Taylor - Reefkeeping.com
Sumps Explained (explains sumps)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/stock-list-and-tips-for-maintaining-your-sw-tank-73477.html equipment list

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners Part 1: The Salt Water Itself by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com (general water info)

Refugiums,fuges or refuge (refugium info)

Protein skimming - is it right for you? (protein skimmers)

Cycle your salt tank cycling

That should atleast get you started! And if you see words/equipment that you don't understand or know what it is....feel free to ask questions or search the site to find threads.

I still consider myself a beginner to saltwater and still haven't tried a sump yet, so I can't really answer your questions or draw you a diagram, but I do have some links to share to get you started on your reading/research. :)

Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sumps, Part I by Greg Taylor - Reefkeeping.com
Sumps Explained (explains sumps)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/stock-list-and-tips-for-maintaining-your-sw-tank-73477.html equipment list

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners Part 1: The Salt Water Itself by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com (general water info)

Refugiums,fuges or refuge (refugium info)

Protein skimming - is it right for you? (protein skimmers)

Cycle your salt tank cycling

That should atleast get you started! And if you see words/equipment that you don't understand or know what it is....feel free to ask questions or search the site to find threads.

Great Articles!!! I love the 3 parts on sumps! Well it seems like I have a slightly smallar sump then recommended. For a 250 gallon tank I 20% sump would be a 50 gallon tank, I only have a 30 gallong tank. I'll have to look for something bigger, I've seen at craigslists 55 gallon tanks for cheap.

With all the reading I've determined that a 3ft tall stand is tall enough. so I'll have my friend begin working on making my stand. One of you said you bought Birch Wood, is there a reason to buy birch wood over any other wood?

And the skimmer. Should I get one? I found a 100gallon rated Skimmer for $40 dollars a Aqua C Remora Pro Protein Skimmer. Should I buy it?

Oh and what do you recommend for cleaning the aquarium glass really good?

Raudel

Won't comment much about the rest haha but you dont want to scratch the glass! the algae will grow in any scratches and make them very noticeable... what i find best is just an algae scrapper. they look mostly like this one
http://www.fishandfins.co.uk/images/rena-scraper-long.jpg

Thanks, I'll sure look for one.
Any other cleaning recommendations?

And any recommended wood type for the stand, and should I add a skimmer for my system (Aqua C Remora Pro Protein Skimmer. Should I buy it? it's rated for a 100gallon tank, but since I have a sump I figure it should be good enough if I really need a skimmer)

Also does anyone know what the photos attached are used for?

Raudel

Attachments

• IMAG0633.jpg
    IMAG0633.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMAG0634.jpg
    IMAG0634.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 78
the picture on the right is def a ro/di unit...aka what you use to make water for the tank. You should probably check the filters...i dont think they need to be changed too often but who knows how long the previous owner has had them going

Back
Top Bottom