Setting up new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NightSpirit

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm setting up a 100gallon saltwater tank with a
aqua c protein skimmer and eheim 2017 filter.
I've decided to go with live rock and possibly a DSB.

1. Does liverock accelerate unwated algae growth?
Its odd because in my QT without liverock I never
had algae problems, but in my tank with the "bad" lr
it was rampant.

The next set of questions are regarding cycling with
the lr, as I've heard 1000 different ways of doing it.

2. I would be cycling the tank with lr, and while doing
so should I run my protein skimmer and canister filter?
I've heard that canister filters can be a nitrate trap,
so to me it seems reasonable to not use it doing
the initial cycling.

3. I've heard that while cycling with live rock to do
50% water changes per week. With a 100
gallon tank, thats a whole lot of water and time.
Would it be reasonable to do 20% changes
every week?
It seems to me that even doing one
water change during the 1st 4 weeks would
interupt the cycle.
Thanks for your help.

it was rampant.

This is a tough question to answer. Whether you get or don't get unwanted alqae problems from LR is relevant to the condition of the rock when you receive it. Most unwanted algae problems are due to some factor in husbandry of the tank.

2. I would be cycling the tank with lr, and while doing
so should I run my protein skimmer and canister filter?
I've heard that canister filters can be a nitrate trap,
so to me it seems reasonable to not use it doing
the initial cycling.

During the cycle, skimming is not particularly needed. I don't recommend skimming during the cycle, however, some might differ on this decision. As far as the canister filter goes, the media inside is technically not needed because of the LR. It can be a good source for water flow though..

3. I've heard that while cycling with live rock to do
50% water changes per week. With a 100
gallon tank, thats a whole lot of water and time.
Would it be reasonable to do 20% changes
every week?

I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the cycle be done without live animals and use of a raw shrimp be done instead. In this case, no water change will be neccessary since nothing is going to be harmed by the rise in ammonia and nitrites. When the levels peak and return to 0, then do a 25% water change and check the levels again for a few days. Then if the levels remain at 0, start to add stock. After a couple of weeks, do another 25% water change. Then it will be just routine maintenance after that.

HTH

BTW, WELCOME TO AQUARIUM ADVICE

it was rampant.

One comment I have would be is your QT tank setup all the time? If it is do you have it lit the same period and same light intensity as your main tank? Most QT tanks are setup for the short run vs the long run. With live rock in yoru tank the water flow dynamics are much different than an nearly bare QT tank so you may be lacking flow in certin areas that is causing the algae growth. Some algae might have come in on the live rock but with proper water conditions this should not bcome a rampent problem.

Can you describe the algae so as we can figure out what type of algae your suffering with and give you suggestions on how to clean it up.

Since your second and third question deal with cycling your tank I have to wonder if your rock is uncured and this is probably one of the reasons your seeing the algae growth in the main tank. The uncured algae will introduce alot of nutrients into the water that the algae will then feed off of.

One comment I have would be is your QT tank setup all the time? If it is do you have it lit the same period and same light intensity as your main tank? Most QT tanks are setup for the short run vs the long run. With live rock in yoru tank the water flow dynamics are much different than an nearly bare QT tank so you may be lacking flow in certin areas that is causing the algae growth. Some algae might have come in on the live rock but with proper water conditions this should not bcome a rampent problem.

Can you describe the algae so as we can figure out what type of algae your suffering with and give you suggestions on how to clean it up.

Since your second and third question deal with cycling your tank I have to wonder if your rock is uncured and this is probably one of the reasons your seeing the algae growth in the main tank. The uncured algae will introduce alot of nutrients into the water that the algae will then feed off of.

Actually my QT is running all the time, and even though it might be odd,
I keep a damsel in there at all times. Lighting power I think is 1/2 (since
its 1/2 the size) and I keep it on about the same amount of time.

I think it was diatomes, since it was brown. Actually, it is likely
because I didnt have enough flow, no powerheads on a 55, just
a emperor400. With my 100 gallon, I'm going to invest in a powerhead
to improve circulation and hopefully I wont have this problem.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Back
Top Bottom