SG and Salinity off the chart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Apache58

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just received my hydrometer and protein skimmer in the mail. set up the skimmer and then opened the hydrometer and tested the water and it was off the scale. I did a water change a few days ago using Oceanic Salt. should i just keep doing water changes until it goes down?
Thanks
Chris

What is the reading? hypo or hyper? Have you tested your other levels?

Whats in the tank living?

Also is this the only device you have to test the levels? Those are not the greatest for measuring salinity..

I gotta run.. either way make sure you bring it back to a normal range in increments.. I wouldnt change it more than 2 ppt per 12 hours..
then again.. it really depends on what you have in the tank.. If its just your damsels its up to you :) but i would seriously make sure that hydrometer is working correctly.. especially since it was shipped..

Have a good weekend :) *wave*

yeah i knocked the air bubbles off by taping the outside of the hyrdometer.. i think thats how you are supposed to do it. i dont have anything in the tank right now other than Live Rock. This was the first time i measured the salinity or anything because i didnt have a hydrometer before. so this may not be a new thing. and no i havent been topping off with fresh water

If I understand, this is a newly set up tank with nothing in it. If so it does not matter how quickly you change salinity. If it is way high, remove water, and then add ro/di water to make up the diference. You should wait 15-20 min after adding fresh water to get a more accurate reading. If this is a new tank that you are starting to cycle, I would not set up the protein skimmer up yet, it will take the tank longer to cycle that way, install the skimmer before adding fish.

when you do your top offs, you need to use fresh water only, otherwise, you will just keep raising the salinity level. Salt does not evaporate out of the water, only the water does, leaving the salt behind. So you just add fresh to keep the amount stable.

oh ok that makes sense now, just had never thought about it. the tank has been cycling for close to 2 months now, its just been slow because of money, being in college. when i had done my top offs they had been with salt water...ok well ill try that and test it later to see how it changes. thanks for all the quick responses

top off with fresh water only, and then check salinity. I would take some water to lfs and see if their salinity reading is the same that you get. If not, time for a new hydrometer. I have a cheap swing arm type that give a rough reading, they are quicker, cheaper, and easier to use than a hydrometer, but much less accurate.

Back
Top Bottom