Shells in a saltwater tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keenny

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok so I have just set up a salt water tank. It is a 55 Gallon with a 402 powerhead, Rena XP3 and a Emperor 400. Substrate is about 15 ponds of crushed coral and there is about 5 pounds or live rock in there currently.

My questions is that I have collected some sea shells off beaches during holidays and was wondering if it would be safe to put them in the tank as decorations?

PS. I have collected the shells over a long time period. Something like 12 years. So some of them are pretty old.

Yes you could but they will probably just have algae grow on them at first and then there is coraline algae that may cover them with a hard encrusting algae. so if you really like them I would not put them in the tank. Or just try a few to see how it goes.

Thanks for the advise. I think I will try a few just to see.

I started my tank w/CC but it gets dirty, limits a clean up crew, wich traps a lot of funk in it, did I saw it was a pain to clean? LOL! Well, I would make sure CC is what you definitely want, before you add anything else. I had to remove 40LBs of CC and sift out the 30LBs of LS I already had in my tank.

One more thing, please do not cycle your tank with poor, helpless fish....

Back
Top Bottom