Shooters 100 gal. reef build plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShooterRick

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok the wife went out and bought a purple phsuedochromis last night, came home and said build the 100 gal reef but do it over time and I will help with the maintanance. LOL. Equipment Plan below:

100 gal tank, glass hood and oak stand to match her furniture> LOL
200 watts T 5 lighting half actinic
48 watts half and half (not sure about lighting so help with comments please)
LED moonlights
Filstar xp 3 cannister without biomedia. (mechanical filtration only)
Aquaripure biological denitrifier medium size
course marine grade sand ( I have crushed coral in my fowlr) Quantity?
50 lbs base rock
75 lbs live rock
300 watt heater
2- power heads 1100s I think or about that size.
1- 250 current pump (I already have)
Light timers

Comments please: did I miss something? I know most of you will suggest using a sump instead of the cannister but I am intrigiud by the aquaripure systems. I plan on keeping the fowlr going I think if I have room.

moonlights aren't necessary. if you want to barely see the tank in the middle of the night, buy them, but i think they are a waste of money.
i would pick a quality protein skimmer over the canister and denitrifier.
so, 248 watts of t5 total? what are the dimensions of this tank? is this a 5' tank? if so, i would probably want a 5' t5 fixture.

moonlights aren't necessary. if you want to barely see the tank in the middle of the night, buy them, but i think they are a waste of money.
i would pick a quality protein skimmer over the canister and denitrifier.
so, 248 watts of t5 total? what are the dimensions of this tank? is this a 5' tank? if so, i would probably want a 5' t5 fixture.

Ya 248 watts. To little? How many watts would give me enoeph for any coral I wanted within reason? LOL.. I wanted some mechanical filtration along with the bio of the rock. The denitrifier I am looking at is the Aquaripure which to my understanding uses a bacteria charge that you dose with alchohol or sugar water once a week. I have been reading some lit on alchohol doseing benifits.

Vodka Dosing by 'Genetics' and 'Stony_Corals' - Reefkeeping.com

The theory sounds interesting. A protein skimmer is contraindicated if I use the Aquaripure. I am currently just researching and may go another route.

if you want to keep sps, you'll want as near perfect water parameters as you can get. i would not rely on just carbon dosing to accomplish this. removal of organics is what i would focus on. anything that helps achieve this is a good thing. when i've vodka dosed, the protein skimmer, which was on the entire time, would double it's skimmate production. if i remember correctly, that article you linked says it's important to run one.
what bulbs are in this fixture that you are considering? T5's come 18, 24, 39, 54, and 80 watts. none of them evenly adds up to 248.
if it was me, and this tank was 5' x 18 or so inches, i would use 6 x 80 watt T5 ho over it.

if you want to keep sps, you'll want as near perfect water parameters as you can get. i would not rely on just carbon dosing to accomplish this. removal of organics is what i would focus on. anything that helps achieve this is a good thing. when i've vodka dosed, the protein skimmer, which was on the entire time, would double it's skimmate production. if i remember correctly, that article you linked says it's important to run one.
what bulbs are in this fixture that you are considering? T5's come 18, 24, 39, 54, and 80 watts. none of them evenly adds up to 248.
if it was me, and this tank was 5' x 18 or so inches, i would use 6 x 80 watt T5 ho over it.

If I understand, you are suggesting 480 watts of T5. that is the info I was looking for and thanks. Yes the article suggests the skimmer. I understand that. If I use a Aquaripure filter they say do not run skimmer. It is a bit confusing but I am leaning towards a sump and skimmer but still considering all options.

yes, but that's going by "being able to keep whatever you want". if you never venture towards sps, clams...etc, you could get away with 4 lamps.

yes, but that's going by "being able to keep whatever you want". if you never venture towards sps, clams...etc, you could get away with 4 lamps.

Thank you so much. May I ask one last ? Will a 20 gal. sump service a 100 gal. tank. ??

the sump is just for extra water volume, and to hold your components like your skimmer, and reactors..etc. knowing this, do you think it will be enough?
what i would do is decide on components. if you are going for a skimmer, which one? what is it's footprint? then pick a sump to accommodate.

the sump is just for extra water volume, and to hold your components like your skimmer, and reactors..etc. knowing this, do you think it will be enough?
what i would do is decide on components. if you are going for a skimmer, which one? what is it's footprint? then pick a sump to accommodate.

Ah clarity in my old brain! I want my sump to do primarily 6 things;
Added volume. Some large particulate filtration, IE foam or floss pads I assume, a refug., protein skimming, and a return pump. Heater also

I am looking at one on ebay that is acrylic, has the deviders to accomodate these things and provides space for a small refuge. Am I now on the correct path?

not unless you've researched your skimmer and it will fit!
it's cheapest to just buy a glass tank and silicone in partitions yourself. then you can put them exactly where necessary. a 40 breeder is a good size for a sump for your tank. good footprint.
where are you going to put it? under the dt in the stand?

Yes under the DT. Skimmers: are they rated by DT size or total water volume with the sump? Any particular brand suggestions?

yes, reef octopus, vertex, bubble magus are pretty good for the money. a good rule of thumb is to purchase a skimmer rated for 1.5-2x your total water volume. manufacturers loosely rate their skimmers in most cases IMO. i would choose something rated for 200 gallons give or take.

yes, reef octopus, vertex, bubble magus are pretty good for the money. a good rule of thumb is to purchase a skimmer rated for 1.5-2x your total water volume. manufacturers loosely rate their skimmers in most cases IMO. i would choose something rated for 200 gallons give or take.

Wow! I can see this is going to cost me. LOL. The least expensive skimmer I looked at was I believe called Red Line. 150 gal unit about 300.00. With all the footprints I looked at a 30 gal sump seems more correct for the 100 gal DT. I may have to set up a smaller isotlation tank and use my 29 gal for a sump.

The Vertex 180 may be within my budget if I build a sump. I think I am headed that route.

lol..this is anything but a poor mans hobby.

Yes I know. My little 29 I bought used for 80 bucks is now cost me close to 475 to upgrade the filter and all the sundry supplies, rocks , 4 fish. LOL. I am trying to get this 100 up less substrate and live rock for under a grand.

why would you say you're not that desperate, that would probably be a great skimmer and pull out great skimmates, just because it might look a little ghetto doesn't mean it won't do the job the top brands will do.

at the end of the day what makes a good skimmer good is lots of tiny bubbles, good contact time, easy trasision to the collection cup. small differences like the type of material doesn't make to much of a difference and a 5 gallon waterjug has it all. its large and its smooth and has a great cone shape leading to the cup. all you need is a good pump to get them bubbles in

Owe! Sorry I didnt mean to offend you if I did. I am not a great DIY guy. I work on small stuff under a microscope all day long and building things like this makes me feel like I am still at work and just don't like it. I will probably build a sump but that is about it. Again if I gave offense my apologies.

Back
Top Bottom