should i go saltwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hockeydude15

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got a 38 gal. tank and i have it setup it currently have freshwater in it. But no fish i was considering making it a saltwater tank. I dont know much about saltwater tanks what do i have to do to make it saltwater? Do i have to buy any new equipment? Is it hard to keep?

Well you would need salt mix, hydromoter, salt test kits to start with.

Depending on what you have in the bottom of your tank if its gravel then you will probably be better changing that out to crushed coral or sand. I would suggest 4-45lbs of live rock aswell for not only filtration but also look. You should pickup a decent skimmer to add to the filtration.

If you plan on wanting corals then you will need to upgrade your lighting because no doubt you have a single florecent tube. A double florecent fixture would be ok for just the live rock but corals need more potent light.

Is it hard to keep? Not really. But there is a level of devotion that you will need. Regular water changes, daily to bidaily topoffs of evapration for example. The fish are much more expensive but the trade off is you keep less fish in the tank.

What fish are drawing you toward salt?

If your serious then there is no replacment for a good saltwater book. Check out our saltwater library linked above for some suggested books. I like the book entitled "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert M. Fenner. This is a great book for the person getting into the hobby.

Keeping the answer very simple, I would say yes go with sw if you have both the money and patience. Expect to spend 3-5x as much as fw in initial setup. You have to consider a skimmer, lr, salt, tests and RO water. And be prepared, some inhabitants require a 3, 6 or 12 month established tank. Realize its much, much more than just mixing salt and powering up - then you will be one step ahead in deciding. Read, read, and read more. Enjoy

I just made the switch from fresh to salt myself, and I would recommend it to anyone. I don't have the knowledge or experience of most people on this forum, but I can tell you that it is fun and extremely addictive. IMO if you liked fresh water you'll love salt water.

Back
Top Bottom