Should i rinse out live sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman007

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got a used 37 gallon salt water tank. It has been kept for over five years by its previous owner and they did not do any maintenance on the sand in there tank. It has layers of grunge and algea. I was wondering if i should rinse it out and try and get rid of this stuff before putting it into the tank. ( i know this will kill the bb but theres plenty of live rock so that will be no problem.)

i would take it out, and replace it all. a lot of people say its a big no no to reuse substrate in a saltwater aquarium

I dont have a ro system and i dont want to waste 30 pounds of sand so can i rinse it out with city water and drain it well? I did this with my 20g long freshwater when i changed substrates from gravel to sand and i had no problems with nitrites or ammonia.

I dont have a ro system and i dont want to waste 30 pounds of sand so can i rinse it out with city water and drain it well? I did this with my 20g long freshwater when i changed substrates from gravel to sand and i had no problems with nitrites or ammonia.

freshwater is a completely different ball park....
i would just pay the 20-30 dollars for new sand and not take the risk. rinsing it with city water will leave it with unwanted minerals, even if you dry it out all the way. you can do whatever you want, but I'm just saying what i would do.

+1 to toss and replace. Spend 20-30 bucks now or pay for it ten-fold later.

I used new play sand an rinsed with city water snd ts doing well . I also have tank bought used an I rinsed and used gravel they used with it

I used old sand that came with a tank I bought. It was a nightmare. Took me at least a month to get my phosphates and nitrates down. I'd get new sand if it was me. I won't make that mistake twice

I'm not sure. Probably don't as long as you have the right cuc to keep it sifted. When you move a tank the sand gets all stirred up and releases toxins

I have a cory cat I think I will get two more for 29 gal and some snails for 10 gal

I have one snail now ... I might reconsider getting more cuz my waters soft and I need to add cuttle bone for calcium cuz shell looks thin

Back
Top Bottom