Shrimp/Goby pair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most likely no but I've seen a couple of exceptions. Don't expect it though

Normally they shouldn't...I've heard of it once. The gobies that pair up are normally referred to as shrimp gobies and den up in the sandbed under a rock, just like the pistol shrimp.

Ok, if I have a 20g long with a 10g sump refugium. I plan on having a firefish and royal gramma with a clown pair. Could I add one of the shrimp gobies or would that push the bioload to much? If I can, which ones?

If you went with one of the small prawn gobies you might be ok. Off the top of my head the hi fin red banded or one that stays that size should be ok.

Ok, good...now do I need to add them at them same time? I know shrimp need a more established tank and my cycle just completed so I'd wait on both if they did but if they didn't I'd add them after my fire fish and gramma (which I get next Tuesday) :)

If you add them separate just try and place the second as close to the others burrow as you can. Also make sure your rocks are stable because they will really move the sand once you add them.

Well I have my gramma and fire fish coming Tuesday...if I bought a the shrimp and goby tomorrow would that be okay or pushing it? If it's pushing it, then I'll wait until after sometime

That's pushing it. 2 may be pushing it as is, so make sure you keep a close eye on your params for a week or so after adding and have plenty of wc water available in case you see some ammonia as the bb catches up.

I figured but I also want to maximize the time I have so I get everything in ASAP. That being sad I don't want to push it to the point of stressing the fish or anything if that makes sense

Most gobies match up with specific pistol shrimp. For instance, I have a pink spotted shrimp goby and a tiger pistol, they have never ever met. lol They didnt match up at all.

I am looking to get a candycane pistol and another goby. The pistol shrimp that match up with the most gobies are alpheus , I think thats how it spelled... Do a little digging on the internet and see which ones match up that you like. :)

And yes, wait at least 2 more weeks before adding the pistol/goby pair. The two fish you are adding this time will force your filtration to adjust so just keep an eye on parameters. From what I have seen on this forum over the years is that most fish die or have issues when they are the first fish going into a new system instead of adding a fish here and there after the tank has been up for a while. But if you go slow and watch whats going on I dont see why you wont do really well. :)

Good luck, post some pictures when your first batch of fish come in.

Yeah, I wouldnt normally put 2 in at the same time but they were on sale on saltwaterfish.com....I also order coral that I posted on the other thread and from what Ive read coral doesnt really have a bioload so I should be able to add them at the same time, correct?

This is the whole order:

Firefish Goby (x1)
Royal Gramma Basslet (x1)
Frogspawn (x1 head)
Mushroom ricordea - green (x1 head)
Hammer Coral (x2 heads)
Candy Cane Frag (x1 head)

Back
Top Bottom