shrimp question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mle421

Aquarium Advice Freak
can i add the coctail shrimp to the tank before i get the live rock? i'm gonna order the live rock today so it should be here by tomorrow. my tank has just the saltwater and a two inch sand bed. (not live sand) tia

eh, probibly not a great idea.

I added mine the day I added my LR. your LR will start a cycle and it would be good to have the shrimp start the cycle at the same time.

in the long run, it probibly doesn't make much of a difference. How big is your tank? if its fairly small, just add a part of the shrimp. in mine, I used only about a third of the shrimp.

its just a 10 gallon nano tank. thanks for the advice on only adding a part of it! i wondered about that!

ps is the shrimp decayin in a 10 gallons of water gonna smell? cause its in my bedroom. and i just want to know what to expect :wink:

hmmm good to know. i probably would have freaked out and thought something was wrong when i opened the box to an unpleseant odor. will it always stink? or just before it goes into the tank?

as the LR cycles, some of it will die off. that decaying stuff will cause the stink. I didn't get an odor from mine. ( I ordered from Liverocks.com) and there was very little die-0ff, but others are not so lucky.

-Matt

ahhh gotcha. i just ordered mine from liverocks.com too :D i can't wait to get it and see what comes on it! it should be here tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom