sick valentini puffer!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bree222

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Up until this morning, my puffer was seemingly healthy. Earlier, i noticed that his skin color had changed on half of one side and the top of his body. It has a darker rough texture, and has recently started to sort of peel... He hasn't eaten anything today, and seems to be either up at the top of the tank, or hovering at the bottom with very heavy breathing. I've tried looking up a diagnosis with no luck. Help!

Also, it's been in the tank for a few months now, with no problems and also with a bengaii cardinal and 2 turbo snails. There is some live rock, along with sand. I've checked pH levels and nitrate levels (nitrates were a little high, so i did a water change). He's swimming around the tank ok, but is maybe having buoyancy problems? I've seen him flip upside down a few times. My cardinal appears to be unaffected.

Please post the water quality numbers for your tank. Please include pH, NH3, NO2 and NO3. How do you prepare your SW for water changes?

Buoyancy issues can be caused by a great many things but if there has been nothing new added to the tank or the puffer has not been physically damaged, foods fed are the leading cause. Either too old, improperly stored or the wrong type altogether. They can lead to blockage or bacterial infections.

So far what you are describing sounds like a toxic water situation. Please answer as many of these as possible....
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=35591

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom