silt problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris stevens

Aquarium Advice Regular
i am using yardright tropical play sand in my tank, and every time i disturb it a little bit, it completely clouds the water. i let it settle, but then when i start up the powerhead/skimmer again, sure enough, cloudy again. even the slightest agitation stirs it up. how should i deal with this? vacuum it off the rocks? does anybody make a tool like this with a built in filter, so i don't have to suck all my water out? should i run some type of mechanical filtration device for a while in it to catch all the silt? also, will this silt settling on my live rocks (brand new from lr.com, excellent btw) pose a problem to the rock? it looks like a winter wonderland in there right now. any help GREATLY appreciated.

after the sand gets thoroughly saturated, it will settle. This usually takes a few days. take a turkey baster and gently blow the rocks off. keep your powerheads off until it all settles.

how old is the tank? If its new then give it some time. When the bacteria grows on the sand it will settle out.
Running a filter with a pad or filter floss to clean the water is fine till it settles out..

excellent - good to hear. the tank is about a week old now - the silt is very very fine - the tank is white while the powerheads run. do you think it will settle even with the powerheads running? any detriment to the live rocks?

Back
Top Bottom