Siphon Vacuum with sand base?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JeridJohnson

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
If you run a sand base do you need to do any vacuuming of the sand to remove waste build up? I used to do this with the crushed coral but am not sure it is required with the sand.

Thanks,
Jerid

It is okay to vaccuum the sand, around the top inch. I wouldn't go anyfarther than that for fear of losing some microfauna. I used to do this when I had bad red cyano. I ended up having to replace some of the sand lost due to siphoning, but it was always just a little bit each time. If you can spot siphon the waste and such you can use normal airline tubing, it works great for just that type of removal. If you have large accumulations I would siphon a section at a time over say a week so that the newly cleaned sand has a chance to recover and replenish..
HTH!

I siphon mine weekly when I do the PWC and as chineseknife said it’s best to just get the surface since just below is beneficial bacteria that helps your system. I use a 2” wide 16” long siphon that only pulls the sand up slightly.
http://www.petmountain.com/product/maintenance/500594/lees-large-16.html

You can also use a ball valve to regulate the flow so sand doesn’t escape into the hose.

Great idea with the ball valve. I actually shortened mine to about 8". It made it easier to maneuver in the tank and keep from knocking things about(frags and loose set corals). Also, what soes pwc mean?Percent water change?

Back
Top Bottom