Skimmate smells like death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
So my eshopps psk150 has turned into a skimming machine. Is it normal for it to stink so bad though? My remora pulled alot of gunk out of the 55g and it smelled really bad but this new smell actually makes me gag when i clean it.

I've been emptying it out every 3 days and it's thick and green/black. I had the skimmer adjusted for a more wet foam but it was filling up too fast.

Is this death smell normal? And I'm not exaggerating, it literally smells like something died in the cup.

Kinda silly question but was wondering what others find with their skimmers?

My Reef Octopus churns out some really nasty stuff like your describing. Smell it and it's instant gag reflex. Since the skimmer is pulling organics out of the water, it's gonna stink as those organics sit at room temp and decompose further.

LOL. Thanks guys, I'm just not used to this death smell. It doesnt even have a salty smell to it, just nasty.

At least it's normal and that's what I was checking on. :)

can i ask you a question how do you know what phosphorus and dog poo mixed together smells like?? j/k lol

Better out than in. Maybe you shouldnt go around smelling everything. Thats what my wife says to me.

Lol. Mine smells like an animal rotting. And that's just when I take the lid off, when I dump it out its even worse. Makes me glad I have the skimmed can't imagine that gunk IN my tank

carey said:
Lol. Mine smells like an animal rotting. And that's just when I take the lid off, when I dump it out its even worse. Makes me glad I have the skimmed can't imagine that gunk IN my tank

Carey did you have it running the whole time with the 125?Do you think maybe the skimmer not broken in and working properly could have contributed to your recent losses?With it pulling that much out now maybe that was the problem.
Just a thought.

I setup the skimmer the day I setup the sump. It took about a week or two to break in and then i added the fish. I'm not sure excess organics could have killed the fish, i sure hope not! lol

Back
Top Bottom