Skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EddieJ123

Aquarium Advice Regular
Do I need a skimmer. I've just started around 6 months ago and my nitrates have not been the best. Would a skimmer help me out so I don't have any more deaths. And would reduce the algae?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A skimmer could not hurt, but I agree that doing regular water changes should help with both nitrates and algae. The skimmer would probably spread your water changes out more.

I too have a 30g (FOWLR) tank but decided to go with a protein skimmer because.. Well why not!? Haha you'd be amazed the kind of junk it pulls out! It's not a necessity, but I would recommend it.

The one thing a protein skimmer accomplishes that no other type of filtration method can is it actually removes waste from the water circulation completely.
All other methodologies segregate and trap waste away from the main water column, but it is still in the overall circulation until the filter is cleaned and thus continues to contribute to poor water quality.

By virtue of that alone, a skimmer will always help out a saltwater set-up.

Thanks I probably will go buy one sounds like a good thing for the fish.

Get a skimmer. You cannot believe the crap that builds up in the water. It's a must-have IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom