skimmer customization?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BJNL6A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just bought this skimmer. My intention due to space limitations is to extend the hoses and use it as more of a canister filter behind the tank and not as an HOB or sump (since I dont have a sump). Someone on amazon who answered my question eluded to doing this as well but I was wondering if you guys think it would affect the bubbles going up the chamber before possibly dissolving.
I was also thinking of connecting the output to the phos reactor my buddy let me borrow so I could use one pump for both and maybe break up any micro bubbles.

Anyone have experience with this skimmer? anyone think this idea might cause problems?
thanks

let me also say for a 65 as the smallest this unit is HUGE!

threesizes._V395810587_.jpg

Well...good luck. Sadly, those units are garbage. When it comes to skimmers, you really get what you pay for. I'm sure there are people who have spent a lot of time modding these, but no one I'm aware of personally. Would have been better off with a reef octopus or an eshopps.

Well...good luck. Sadly, those units are garbage. When it comes to skimmers, you really get what you pay for. I'm sure there are people who have spent a lot of time modding these, but no one I'm aware of personally. Would have been better off with a reef octopus or an eshopps.

darn, they had pretty good reviews on amazon. I have prime so I can return in 30 days but I need to get it hooked up.
Unfortunately all the reef octs I saw were HOB and to tall off the back for my situation. I have a pretty specific setup I need to do and this was the only one that seemed to be able to set up as a canister style within my current budget.

Its only going to be skimming my 29 gallon, and at it has to be better than my aquatic life nano skimmer which caps at 30 gallon.

Are there any particular flaws you can tell me I should look out for. The only issues people seemed to have were either leaking because they forgot to put the O rings or drain cap in or the fact they werent giving it time to break in, like I was getting with my nano.

I'm only aware of the poor performance out of it.

okay, well I guess once I can find the right tubing I need for this (checked HD and Lowes with no luck) Ill report back what I find on it.

update, skimmer was garbage and sent back. Thing wouldnt produce bubbles and literally overflowed the collection cup 3 times on me.

What size of tank is this again? How much space do you have to fit one?
I have this guy running on my 55 and haven't had many issues with it.
ESHOPPS | PSK-75

mine is only a 29. Im using the aquaitc life internal but I wanted something that was more than needed not just capping the max.

My issue is that the tank sits below a wall hung TV. This was never a problem in the past with my fresh but most of these skimmers sit REALLY high above the rim and with the TV there it just wouldnt work out. I also have no way to install a sump.

Im thinking I might switch over to a biocube. I could use all my same sand and rock and livestock. The only loss would be my finnex light but perhaps It could be modded or sold. Its actually a really nice light.

Im thinking of redoing all my tank honestly. I want to remove my 5 gallon fresh and 55 fresh planted. I went over board with that and now want to possibly re downsize it.
I might just get 2 - 29 cube, set each one on one side of the TV. One planted and one reef and call it a day. Then maybe a small 14 gall cube for our upstairs living room.

Ive got some life choices to make lol

other wise may try one of these guys out

https://www.amazon.com/Hydor-Intern...004GB0NX8/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.com/Tunze-USA-90...000N0E0EE/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

The bigger version of course.

But then Im where I am now where the internal skimmer blocks using a lid on the tank because its pushing out so far.

I'm not familiar with those models personally, but they are from reputable companies that have my trust. I'd just do simple google searching and reading up on what people have to say about them.

I ran a reef octopus nano in my 29, it was about 8" above the rim, ran fine. Only overflowed the first few days. Oh yah...its in the tank though..

I see many of these skimmers are surface skimming. Is that better than from the column with a pump? Does it really matter?

I'm not positive, correct me if I'm wrong, the skimmer works best in a sump fed by an overflow system, this in turn is providing surface skim for the protein skimmer.

I Just read that in reefs the corals when they shed or sludge off it will generally collect at the surface so maybe surface skimming is better for that.

Im not running a sump so that is kind of out for me.

I keep my pump submerged in the sump but the intake with pre-filter sponge is aimed up towards the surface so I get both surface and mid water skim . I average a cup of skim-mate every 3 days not very wet but not dry either . guess you can say a mucky sludge.

if your going hob on the tank from past experience surface skim would be ideal

I keep my pump submerged in the sump but the intake with pre-filter sponge is aimed up towards the surface so I get both surface and mid water skim . I average a cup of skim-mate every 3 days not very wet but not dry either . guess you can say a mucky sludge.

if your going hob on the tank from past experience surface skim would be ideal

I just ordered the Tunze internal. It had really good reviews. Im hoping its not MUCH bigger than the aquatic life 115 I have now. I really wanted something that would overskim. The aquatic life actually is a really decent skimmer but it REALLY fill fast. So fast I had to install a drain on the back going to a 2 liter soda bottle as a "just in case". Once it starts being noticeable at the bottom of the bottle I empty everything.

Looks like this Tunze can be put lower in my tank as well, so maybe I will be able to put my lid back on correctly.

for a very long time I always had a very wet skim , I also was surface skimming this was a very wet skim .
than I started messing around after I set up my sump now I have the intake submerged but it also reaches to the surface after spinning the pump motor so I'm getting skim from both worlds. I also drilled a 1/4 inch hole at the bottom of the vortex tub inserted a airline with a air-stone , the extra air helps lift the skim with less water , since I did that seems I never had such a good performing skimmer , I been running this way about 10 months and I'm actually impressed the difference it made .

Got my Tunze and have been running it a few days. Its a nice skimmer. Bit bigger than my aquatic life but thats to be expected since it does about 3xs the load. Still very compact though.
Ive decided Im going to build my own version of an HOB (more like sit behind) sump as an experiment.
Im getting some plexi/lexan, I already ordered my weldon 4 and Im going to build a custom box behind the tank that I can put the skimmer, heater, reactor hoses, etc etc into and regain some of that tank space for the poor fish. Ill add some bio balls and such to it as well.

Ill start my own thread in DIY once I get the rest of my materials.

Thanks for the help guys.

Back
Top Bottom