Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-06-2017, 09:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

skimmer going nuts?

Aquatic Life 115 Mini Internal Protein Skimmer/Filter, 30-Gallon

I have that skimmer for now. I just added more rock to my tank and it was in the beginning of the cycle process and it seems the skimmer is going NUTS!

I had to make shift a horribly bad drain on it because I could NOT empty it fast enough.

the question I have is that none of the water or bubbles being skimmed is scummy. Its perfectly clear and has no odor.

Is this normal? Ive adjusted the thing repeatedly and it just wont calm down. Been about 2 or 3 days now.

anyone have any tips. Im actually going to "hopefully" be picking up a used better quality skimmer from someone this week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170305_172746.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	295925   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170305_172758.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	295926  

Old 03-06-2017, 12:22 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Skimmers have a break in period where they go off the wall and overflow. This can take a lengthy period of time as the oils from manufacturing are processed off.
Then, tie this in with your addition of additional gunk into the system it is simply trying to do it's job. Just be careful you don't drain too much water form the system as it does this. If there is an ATO on the system you can lower salinity, among other things.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Skimmers have a break in period where they go off the wall and overflow. This can take a lengthy period of time as the oils from manufacturing are processed off.
Then, tie this in with your addition of additional gunk into the system it is simply trying to do it's job. Just be careful you don't drain too much water form the system as it does this. If there is an ATO on the system you can lower salinity, among other things.
It doesn't say that on the box though huh? "This product will go nuts and torture you for a week or two".
Good to know. Thanks for the read nick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 03-06-2017, 12:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
I know about the break in but I thought that was done. It seemed to do nothing for a couple weeks then just go nuts.
I know about the salinity, thanks tho, and Im going to get more RO water tonight as my salinity was actually getting too high before I topped off.

One question, the water being skimmed is perfectly clear and clean looking. Should I just dump it back in the tank as top off or consider it gunky even tho it looks and smells fine and just dump it?
Old 03-06-2017, 07:29 PM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I wouldn't. I always remove all liquid removed by the skimmer, no matter how fine it looks. Though the bubbles popping is how the skimmer works normally, them overflowing into the collection cup is still bringing protein with it. It might not be the best, but it is still something. Same with the break in period, it is still something.

Skimmers are frustrating. It is a love/hate relationship. It took me forever to get my current one to a place where I was happy with its performance. It is still a 'tea' like liquid and could be better, but it is still removal.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:36 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

well this skimmer was still going nuts and I just couldnt figure it out. I then started to think less air = less bubbles so I attached a small airline valve to the extended air intake and adjusted the intake until I was able to dial in a nice supply that kept the foam going yet didnt have me emptying it every 4 minutes.

works great. Right now Im not even worried about using the used remora C I just picked up.

Just figured Id update since a couple other people on this forum have the same skimmer, though they dont seem to have the issue.

Tags
skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com