Skimmer less system possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's the plan I just ran out of wood. Is it necessary to paint the inside of the stand?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I should be done with the stand in about 2 days hopefully. Any ideas on how I can mount led lights on top of the tank? I don't want to hang the lights. I'm trying to find a way to have the lights raised about 6 inches off the water line without having to build a canopy. My lights are similar to the Taotronic lights.

What I'm looking for is a way to build something mounted to the tank where I can just sit the lights on top of.

How about connecting a pair of brackets on the wall behind and using a piece of glass as a shelf? Then the lights can sit right on it, as well as whatever else you want to put there.

Sounds good I'm gonna try that but I need to somehow create a bracket that attaches to the aquarium and then put the glass on it. My wife agreed to the aquarium but not moving the mirror that will be hung behind the aquarium so no access to the wall for me.

Does it come already bent like that?

You can bend it in store with their tool and not have to purchase it...which is what i did, or they sell fittings and elbows and stuff you can simply screw together. Don't forget a can of black spray paint!

OK thanks that's what I'll do, and no I won't forget I need black spray paint for the glass. I'm painting the back of the glass black.

Is a mag 9.5 too powerful for my setup? I'm thinking of splitting it up and dialing back a little on the return.

It should be ok. I run a mag5 on my 55 setup and simply have it restricted on the return line with a ball valve. It is actually healthy for the pump and something I always suggest.

Anyone cut the metal conduit with a miter saw?

Took care of it. Miter saw worked. Very easy to cut.

Has anyone used pool filter for sand?

I have seen it done. Some worry about silicates leaching from the quartz sand, but I just don't see how this is possible, since our glass tanks don't leach anything. Everything I've read thus far states that quartz cannot break down into solution. At least not in 78 degree salt water. I do like the buffering capability of a calcium based substrate however.

Back
Top Bottom