Skimmer less system possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rich42082

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've got one foot out of the hobby. I need your advise. I have a 180 gallon 2 year old reef I need to downsize. With a 1 year old and another on the way I don't have the time and money to maintain my 180. I plan on keeping all or most of my corals.

The plan is to purchase a 55 gallon from petco. Drill some holes on it for a drain and return and have a refugium setup under the tank. Since it will only have corals and no fish can I get away from having a protein skimmer? The maintenance I can afford is a 30 gallon WC once a month. This setup will have lots of flow and no sand in the bottom of the tank. Just live rock and corals. Pls share your thoughts on this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You will need some fish, unless you feed the corals. That said, you don't necessarily need a skimmer....it's just another helping hand in the quest for clean water.

OK I'll keep some of my fish but do you think I can run a successful system without running a protein skimmer, gfo or carbon. I plan on dosing Calcium and Alkalinity. I'll have a filter sock and a 10 gallon refugium.

I'll be doing 30 gallon WC once a month. Does anyone run something similar?

My 55 reef has been skimmerless several times in it's life...not that I was planning it that way...and I've always struggled with skimmers, always feeling that one should be doing more or skimming all of the time for me. Is it possible? Yes. Is my tank happy without it? No, I have cyano in my sandbed currently. But this is also because the pump from my reactor went at the same time and my GFO/purigen isn't running either.

I personally like using gfo, purigen, and similar products on my tank. It might just be from my poor luck with skimmers or even simply doing something wrong with them that leads to my general disdain for them, but I still run it for what I can get it to skim out of my system.

How much WC are you doing?

Rich, what about a skimmer is not going to work for you? The initial cost? Do you have a skimmer on your current 180? You can use that one if so.

I had to go with a 40 gallon breeder with a 29 gallon sump / refugium. The 55 gallon that petco sells has tempered glass so change of plans. The skimmer I have on the 180 is huge and I won't be able to fit it inside this new setup. Plus it's kind of loud. I do have a dual reactor I might use and I was also thinking of having a cylinder filter if I can fit it somewhere inside the stand or next to the stand.

Can you recommend a good skimmer that is small enough to fit inside the 29 gallon breeder and still have space for a section of Chaeto and a return section?

Yes, I meant the standard 29 gallon. I'll consider them both. They are about 150 to 200 on ebay so not too bad. I might be able to cram everything I need in there. Would I need 2 of the dimmable led's on ebay or just 1? They are similar to the taotronics.

I'm planning on starting my stand build. My wife just threw me a curve ball. She want the stand to have legs. If I build a regular stand can I add 4X4 to the bottom of the stand to lift the stand maybe 2 inches off the ground? I was thinking of putting 1 on each corner and 2 in the middle.

I'll just cut the 4X4 two inches tall.?

Is this so she can vacuum and clean under it? You definitely do not need six 4x4s under a 55. One in each corner is fine. My stand is just 4x4's with some trim around it on my 105-
img_3127833_0_0e968c2f8e5b9e363837fc0a361ab199.jpg

Yeah, and incase theirs a leak she wants to be able to dry under it. I'm building a basic stand with 2 X 4's and then adding 4X4's in each corner to raise the tank 2 inches off the ground.

Anyone have a good link on how to build the stand with removable doors?

Back
Top Bottom