Skimmer needed on 55 gallon reef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jphendren

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

I have a 55 gallon reef tank that is in the works. It has been up and running for 2 1/2 to 3 months now, and has 56 pounds of cured live rock, and 40 pounds of live sand. I have been doing 15 gallon water changes weekly, and cleaning the Rena XP3 canister filter weekly as well. My ammonia and nitrites always read 0, and my nitrates have been between 5-20 per my API test kit. Unfortunately my tank stand has very limited space under it, and that small space is already occupied by my Rena, so there is no room for a sump, nor a refugium. If the Rena could come out, then a sump would fit, but am not sure if removing the Rena would cause a problem and kill my fish. I have read/heard that HOB/HOT skimmers are not all that great compared to in-sump skimmers. So I'm not really sure what to do? Will my water changes be enough to keep the water quality high, or is a skimmer a necessity? Right now the tank has two 1" percula clownfish, and a peppermint shrimp.

I've read that the Deltec MCE600 HOB is decent, but cost over $500, whereas a $300 in-sump skimmer would do a much better job.

Jared

You know skimmers are one of those things you just have to decide on. I have friends that dont use them and seem to do OK. The do good size PWC`s to make up for it. I personally believe they are good investments. I use an excalibur. If you want the best then Octopus brand is the best IMO.

"or you could pay attention to your tank and see if you might not need it. it will also depend on your tank husbandry, and stock list."

So far I have been doing weekly water changes, and cleaning my filter at the same time. With that, the water quality has been very good. I would like to be able to go at least 2 weeks or more between water changes, that is the goal. I am now looking into a HOB refugium, I am thinking that may be a good way to go in removing nutrients from the water column, as well as providing a food source for my fish as well.

Thanks for the responses. I am thinking that with weekly PWC, that a skimmer is not necessary for the time being while I research more into what I need to do.

Jared

Back
Top Bottom