Skimmer questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ericwm

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a new 29 gallon tank and I am running it on a filter, I was told this will be ok. I am in the process of building a reef tank and was looking to add a power head, I have two questions.

One, is a skimmer needed for a reef tank?
Two, how much flow do skimmers add?

I ask this because I was thinking I could get a fairly cheep skimmer in place of getting a power head and get flow and improve my water quality.

Any advice would be wonderful, I want to do this right.

Skimmers...you get what you pay for. A cheap one wont' do anything. Secondly, they aren't a replacement for a good powerhead either. What type of coral are you wanting to keep? If it will be a softie only tank then you could get away without a skimmer. For LPS and especially for SPS you will need a skimmer to get junk out of the water column.

Right now I have radioactive dragon polyps and am hoping my next coral will be frogspawn. I'm planning on avoiding sps because I know I would be looking for disappointment. Years out in another tank I may consider sps and I would defiantly in a much larger tank with a sump and I skimmer if I get completely hooked on reef tanks, which seem inevitable at this point. I am trying to make sure this one goes well so I stick with the hobby for years to come.

Will I be ok with the frogspawn without a skimmer?

I have read they like low to moderate flow so I'm not concerned about the power head before the frogspawn.

A tank that size doesn't require a Skimmer imo just make sure you stay on scheduled water changes and don't over feed

Sounds good. My next three purchases will be a frogspawn then a cleaner shrimp and then a power head.

Thanks for all the help.

I would seriously get a powerhead before the frogspawn. With just a hob you have almost no flow.

Thanks for the advice. I want my corals to be happy.

I decided I wanted a frogspawn today so I bought a power head today too. The flow seems to have made my whole tank cleaner already. I only have 25X flow but it looks like plenty for my frogspawn and zoas. I will get another head to make 50X before I add anymore corals.

Thanks for the help

I decided I still wanted to buy my frogspawn today so I bought a power head too. I only have 25X flow but it looks like enough to make my frogspawn happy. I will buy another head to make 50X flow before I add any other corals.

Thanks for the advice.

image-3106605032.jpg

Back
Top Bottom