skimmer vs refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dvsfx

Aquarium Advice Activist
does my 10 gallon nano need one of these? if so which is better ? what are the benefits and drawbacks of each? and I've read refugiums can be made with hob filters pretty easily if this is true, can I use any filter? and what supplies would I need and how would I go about doing this?

Well, no, your tank doesn't need either, considering its rather small volume of water. Most, if not all of the excess nutrients can be removed just by performing your weekly water changes. That will also help to replenish the elements your saltwater aquarium needs to survive, such as iron, strontium, calcium, etc..

BUT, personally I do recommend converting a HOB filter into a tiny refugium because it will make all the difference. Should you slack up on your water changes a bit, the chaeto, provided it has enough light to grow, will do a great job of filtering out excess nutrients.

As for supplies, you should consider the Aquaclear 70 filter. It's pretty big, but still small enough to fit on your tank. It will also provide a decent amount of flow. Also, if you choose to, you can remove the heater from your display tank, and buy a Hydor Theo 50w heater. It provides plenty of heat and it is small enough to fit in the HOB filter without any problems. This is the setup that most people are putting on their nano tanks.

Have a read at this website. It lists exactly what you need, and how to setup your own little HOB refugium for a very little amount of money. http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=180570&st=40&p=2004830&#entry2004830

Last edited:
oh well thank you for the help :) so just to clarify no skimmer necessary? and with a refugium would I still need my other filter running?

Yeah, no skimmer necessary.

You could remove your other filter, that's up to you. I don't think it will do much harm keeping it on, or removing it. Maybe you can just take it off, and if your water ever tarts to get cloudy from the sand or something of that nature you could just slap it back on to polish up the water.

alright thanks mate you've been great help! another thing you could maybe help me with is my lighting for my dt , I only have one 15 inch 16 watt tube flourecent on it so far (came with tank) but I also have another light that is composed of 2 compact fluorescents bulbs and it says on that fixture 660watts 250 volts , would this be enough light? and what sort of bulbs should I put in ?

Back
Top Bottom