Sky's Diving Into The Reef!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kdpuffer said:
I've never had a problem with my koralias going backwards and I have 3 on a wavemaker in my 55.

Good to know! Thank you!

More questions!

1) I was told to cover the bottom of my tank with eggcrate to keep the rock from damaging the glass. This makes sense to me, do you all do this?

2) Thoughts on the best way to set up the refugium in my sump?

3) I love the look of aquatic plants and my LFS has small Kelp plants available. Pros and cons to making it an addition to my tank?

Thanks in Advance!

skywhitney said:
More questions!

1) I was told to cover the bottom of my tank with eggcrate to keep the rock from damaging the glass. This makes sense to me, do you all do this?

2) Thoughts on the best way to set up the refugium in my sump?

3) I love the look of aquatic plants and my LFS has small Kelp plants available. Pros and cons to making it an addition to my tank?

Thanks in Advance!

1) you don't have to, but it's not a bad idea. it protects the glass under it from cracking when you place the rocks.

2) this is the way a lot of people do it and it works really well. If your not doing a DIY tank sump, what pre made one do you have?

3) well, you'll have a lot of Green in your refugium, but if you want it in the dt, get halimedia. It's a macro that uses calcium to grow, so it's easier to take care of.

Attachments

• image-1971051348.jpg
    image-1971051348.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 99
1) you don't have to, but it's not a bad idea. it protects the glass under it from cracking when you place the rocks.

2) this is the way a lot of people do it and it works really well. If your not doing a DIY tank sump, what pre made one do you have?

3) well, you'll have a lot of Green in your refugium, but if you want it in the dt, get halimedia. It's a macro that uses calcium to grow, so it's easier to take care of.

1) Sounds good i'll definitely do it, I don't see how it could be any harm at all other than having to possibly buy a little more sand.

2) It's a premade sump. Aqueon ProFlex Model 3.

3) I'll Look into that. this isn't important in this tank, just thought it might be kinda cool to integrate but You don't really see many green plants growing on reefs in the wild so i'll probably bypass and leave the green to the refugium.

New Question for everyone.

4) I was looking at the Kessil A150 LED's, what do you guys think of them and are they worth it?

Someone in the club I'm in has them and they think theyre great. Very sleek.

I really like the streamlined look of the fixtures and the colors they produce are amazing from what I've seen.

I just have to find out if they would be enough to grow SPS or LPS in a 24" depth.

Edit: I'm actually looking at the Kessil A350 not the A150.

Last edited:
Received my powerheads today. Apparently i ordered a 1400 and a 750. Oh well, even more flow.

That'll be fine, especially for a tank that size. So what do you still need? It seems like your close to being ready..

needmorecowbell said:
That'll be fine, especially for a tank that size. So what do you still need? It seems like your close to being ready..

Which will be fine? The Kessils, powerheads, or both?

Well i can at least check the powerheads off the list now :)

The main thing i need for the setup now is a stand for the tank...i should have that in a couple weeks.

50lbs bucket of IO Reef Crystals - check!

Still waiting on the stand...

So I put a blue background on the tank last night and then decided to redo some of the seals on the tank just to be safe. There were a few knicks in the silicone edges that were a little closer to the seam than I would have liked so I filled those in and redid the seals on my center brace (the original one broke and this tank has a DIY that the previous owner did).

As far as my lighing is concerned I think I'm leaning toward the EcoTech XR30w lights. I'll stick with one unit for right now then possibly upgrade to a second if i feel its a necessity in the future. I thnk the full spectrum of lights, controllability, and upgradability are whats making me lean this way.

I'm thinking i'll have about 70lbs or so of rock in the tank so would 30-40lbs of established LR be enough to seed it all if i do dry rock for the remainder?

You could do 100% lace rock and it will become liverock which is how I did my 20 extra high to keep all hitchikers out so it just depends how fast you wanna cycle, how many hitchikers you want, and how much your willing to pay lol :)

You could do 100% lace rock and it will become liverock which is how I did my 20 extra high to keep all hitchikers out so it just depends how fast you wanna cycle, how many hitchikers you want, and how much your willing to pay lol :)

well thats good to hear, I have about 10-15lbs of lace rock just sitting in a storage container right now! :)

How far in advance can i mix my water before i use it? Or does it not really matter much?

nice. I'll pick up the trashcans this week and get some mixed and ready that way i'm ready once i get my LR and LS

Back
Top Bottom