Sky's Diving Into The Reef!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skywhitney

Aquarium Advice Addict
This thread is also known as my 70g build thread...

So almost nothing is going to be happening on this tanks build until the middle to end of August but I wanted to get the thread going that way I can start asking questions and putting anything up that does happen :)

My main goal for this tank is to eventually be a thriving reef system with quite a few inverts and just a few fish. From what I've read and heard so far, this is very doable.

Here goes nothin! Hope you decide to follow along!

I broke down the 70g today and moved my FW setup to the 40, Just gotta get everything nice and sparkly for the new build.

Anyone know of an easy way to get rid of a bunch of algae on equipment?

Use a vinegar water mix. Works better the longer you soak the equipment.

Also- flat edge blade can be used to scrape off glass faster than scrubbing. Just keep away from silicone. +1 for vinegar. Just rinse well

1:1 ratio of vinegar and water? I have a small container of razor blades in my stand already (pretty much the only way to get rid of green spot that I found)

skywhitney said:
1:1 ratio of vinegar and water? I have a small container of razor blades in my stand already (pretty much the only way to get rid of green spot that I found)

I use vinegar straight up, it's not expensive, so I just decided not to dilute it.

I use 50% vinegar with rodi to get salt creep off things, works great. I use it to clean off my powerheads when they get bad too.

Im excited for this sky. If the reef turns out half as well as your plated did..it will be incredible!!

Im excited for this sky. If the reef turns out half as well as your plated did..it will be incredible!!

Now if I could get the corals to grow as fast as my plants.... lol oh wishful thinking!

skywhitney said:
Now if I could get the corals to grow as fast as my plants.... lol oh wishful thinking!

If you go with some Softies you may be surprised how fast they actually grow ;)

Just Ordered a Koralia 750 and 1050 for now. I'll worry about getting the Vortechs later down the road. I just can't justify $300/powerhead right now.

needmorecowbell said:
Lol I know how you feel, I just can't see them being that worth it.

Everyone who has them says they are but i'm not going to have anything that the Koralias won't suffice for for quite a while. Maybe i'll get lucky and find one used lol

Yep, the only problem with the koralias is the whole going backwards sometimes thing.. But they take care of my corals very well!

needmorecowbell said:
Yep, the only problem with the koralias is the whole going backwards sometimes thing.. But they take care of my corals very well!

Thats with the wavemaker right? I've never had them do that before

needmorecowbell said:

I've only heard of this on a wavemaker. Coincidently I have two 750's on a wavemaker with no problem.

I don't have a wavemaker, when I Shut the powerheads off to feed the fish and corals, they go backwards or really slowly when I turn them on. I turn the power off and on a bunch to fix it. Wavemakers are just cutting power to a powerhead, so its the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom