Slowing down refugium flow??? Yes / No

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdergar

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondering about slowing down the flow through the refugium. Should you? Just building the sump now so before I get the glass partitions cut...
Also what is best for refugium contents. I was going with aragonite, some live rock rubble and some algae.

Thanks...Steve

I would look at melevsreef.com for some really good sump designs. My favorite designs are the ones where the overflow from the tank is split and returned into two different chambers in the sump. One can be the regular channel with skimmer and other equipment and the other can be a specific refugium section. This way you don't have to have slow flow through all of the sump but you can adjust each flow separately.

As far as best contents, you've got the right idea. Some extra highly porous rock for bacteria and some macro algae to help keep nitrates and phosphates down. Cheato or Caulerpa are the most common. Check your local laws, caulerpa has been banned in some areas due to its invasiveness.

Thanks Jimbo7. I've been looking and reading so much. I think it's becoming a bit of an overload. But I'd rather do it slow and right than have to change things a month from now.

Steve

I do prefer to have a slower flow through my fuge than in my sump, as I prefer to allow more contact time of the water with the algaes I keep. For this reason, I made my sump/fuge and the associated plumbing to allow me to do this.

I only keep sand and algae in my fuge, personally.

I set mine up with gate valves going into the fuge section, so that I can control how much I want going in there and divert everything else into the skimmer area of my sump. I still tweak it from time to time too. I don't think %'s are really the best way to define this, moreso in terms of GPH. I run a 700GPH return pump in my tank, and of this I try to limit my fuge to about 100-200GPH and the rest through the sump. No specific reason for why I chose 100-200, that's just where I *think* it should be.

I have a ball valve that controls my flow through the refugium. Slower flow is recommended esp. if you have macro algea in the fuge.

Back
Top Bottom