Slowly moving towards a reef tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kgriffith

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been slowly gearing towards going full reef... My question is what I should do to modify my setup...

I have 90 gallon with corner overflow. Wet/dry trickle with about 10 gallons of water at its operating level. I am going to remove the bio balls slowly...
Oceanic Model 6 skimmer (doesnt seem to be making much skimate, it is plumbed externaly. I also have a 10g refugium that is plumbed with a 300 gph powerhead and a 1" overflow. Iwaki return pump. The tank has about 100-120lbs of live rock in it.

I was planning on changing out the wet/dry for a sump but I cant find one that incorporates a refugium and I didnt want to drill it to accept my overflow refugium...

What should I do? What would you guys do?

Also if you are going reef what type lighting do you have? Let me think about the plumbing.

I am a little confused, do you have a built in overflow or it it a hang-on back? How many overflows do you have?

I am sure many people will disagree with me, however I don't think you need a refugium. There are many successful reef tanks out there without refugiums. So in my opinion don't be too concerned if you can't find a sump that incorporates a refugium. But if you can, then great get it and typically put the refugium in the middle chamber. So you will have skimmer in the first chamber-fuge-return pump.

Ahhhh a drilled overflow makes things so much simpler. If the wet/dry currently only holds a maximum of 10g of water then I would purchase a glass 29g (30x12x18), 30 tall (24x13x24), or a 30 regular (36x12x16) depending on what can be fit and do the following layout: Sump - Model E The other option to this design is: overflow feed -> skimmer -> baffles -> refugiuim -> baffles -> return pump. Of course, all depends on what kind of wet/dry you have size-wise.

I think I am going to stick with what I have for now. I am in the process or removing the bio-balls and am going to replace them with live rock rubble. I figure that coupled with the 10 g refugium should keep my nitrates down. I am at 20 now and am going to do another water change mid week. I only added the refugium 2 days ago, how long before it brings down my nitrates in your experience?

Last but not least I am going to the lfs tommorow, could you recommend some good corals for me to get? I have a green acro that has seen better days(came to me in bad shape and my flameangel likes to eat it, flame is gone tommorow) I have a finger leather, nice big zoos and a small bta

Back
Top Bottom