small salt water tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanS180

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi! Okay this is only my 2nd post in the saltwater section bc I've never done saltwater before. My question is, If i were to get a 16 gallon aquarium kit, what would I need to make it happen?? And what kind of fish could I keep in a tank that small???

DanS180 said:
Hi! Okay this is only my 2nd post in the saltwater section bc I've never done saltwater before. My question is, If i were to get a 16 gallon aquarium kit, what would I need to make it happen?? And what kind of fish could I keep in a tank that small???

One fish, marine salt oceanic, heater , light, filtration with a bio wheel, one dead shrimp from the grocery and 4 weeks of patience.

DanS180 said:
Lol good advice, what kind of fish? Like could I put a clown fish in there??

Yeah one clown is fine. After you mix all the water( directions on bag) throw in the shrimp and buy a water test kit. Test ammonia, nitrate and nitrite. Later you can buy other tests.

Cycling will take 2-6 weeks so test every day, keep a log and when the readings are high keep waiting until they get back to zero.

Then your ready kiddo!

Openbrain said:
Yeah one clown is fine. After you mix all the water( directions on bag) throw in the shrimp and buy a water test kit. Test ammonia, nitrate and nitrite. Later you can buy other tests.

Cycling will take 2-6 weeks so test every day, keep a log and when the readings are high keep waiting until they get back to zero.

Then your ready kiddo!

Awesome, just an idea I have right now, I wanna do it, just don't know when.. what else would u recommend putting in there?? Other than fish

inverts. Shrimp, snails, hermits, etc. I have a fighting conch in my 20 that's really awesome if you have an open sandbed.

That depends on what fish you choose, type of filtration and water quality. Only use reverse osmosis water. Nothing else.

Some fish bother your invertebrates , some invertebrates cannot live with your fish. Google pictures, research and find a match.

Just remember, its a different animal then fresh water.

Any specific inverts you'd recommend, I'd definitely be doing a clown fish, but i know nothing about salt water tanks so bare with me :/ trying to learn so i can make a small tank

DanS180 said:
Any specific inverts you'd recommend, I'd definitely be doing a clown fish, but i know nothing about salt water tanks so bare with me :/ trying to learn so i can make a small tank

No worries,

Find a hosting anemone. Google it.

Then some polyps, buttons and others in that category.

Back
Top Bottom