snails, hermits reef safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Are all the so-called algae eaters, snails, little hermits, etc., safe for mushrooms, polyps, other soft corals? Or do they eat them if there isn't enough algae?

I haven't had any problems with mine. If the algae gets low you may want to add some sheets you can by from your lfs, that way the snails or any other strictly algae eaters don't die.

Hermit crabs have a tendency to kill snails for there shells. some have claimed success in putting in empty shells for the hermits to move into when they start to grow, but no guaranties. I believe someone has told me that sally lightfoot's are good algea eaters, and reef safe. HTH :D

I recommend that you avoid "red leg" hermits, which I believe are different from "scarlet" hermits. my favorite hermits have been the hawaiin zebra and the electric blue <----my most favorite.

I also would avoid large-bodied crabs such as decorators and emerald mythrax. I have had experience with both of those guys destroying polyp colonies and mushrooms. Especially the decorator. They'll pick an entire colony to wear on their back, and end up killing them.

Back
Top Bottom