Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-04-2015, 09:30 PM   #2081
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,245
I only wish I could as it only opens up at night. So, either too blue'd out or would be ugly flash. Haven't done any thought towards getting it trained to open up during the day.

Also, rubberbanded algae sheets to a rock and was able to get the fish to eat it. They didn't seem to like the clip. Makes sense for the tomini, but not everything else.
__________________

Sniperhank is offline  
Old 05-05-2015, 05:27 AM   #2082
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
paul87's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,269
Love the tang! How had it been acting in your tank?
__________________

__________________

paul87 is offline  
Old 05-05-2015, 08:02 AM   #2083
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
navaljonf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 419
I had to start my tang on rubberband algae. He later took to the clipped algae. Now he eats everything I throw in the tank


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
navaljonf is offline  
Old 05-05-2015, 10:59 AM   #2084
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,245
Shy. Everything in the tank is pretty tolerant of each other. The tomini did enjoy some chasing of the coral beauty away from the algae rock, but it was pretty minimal.
Sniperhank is offline  
Old 05-08-2015, 02:24 PM   #2085
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,245
Well the summer must be upon us already. Woke up today and it was 86 in the living room. That then makes it 86 in the tank. Ac is officially in run all day mode. Only 2 things of note, the long tentacle is bleached and the sun coral didn't extend polyps last night. Both might be not related, due to the hairy mushroom vs lta going on still and the sun coral might be too close to a symphodium frag. I'll fiddle around some tonight, but I might simply remove the lta. Well see.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Sniperhank is offline  
Old 05-08-2015, 04:17 PM   #2086
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dary421's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego,ca
Posts: 2,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Well the summer must be upon us already. Woke up today and it was 86 in the living room. That then makes it 86 in the tank. Ac is officially in run all day mode. Only 2 things of note, the long tentacle is bleached and the sun coral didn't extend polyps last night. Both might be not related, due to the hairy mushroom vs lta going on still and the sun coral might be too close to a symphodium frag. I'll fiddle around some tonight, but I might simply remove the lta. Well see.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It just might be Time to get a cooler hank


Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Dary421 is offline  
Old 05-08-2015, 05:11 PM   #2087
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,245
If it was a solution for keeping the dog cool as well I'd consider it.
Sniperhank is offline  
Old 05-10-2015, 06:28 PM   #2088
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,245
So today I decided to change the 'mode' my Radions are in. Exported what I was using and am now using a 'deep ocean' ramp on the tank. Simple bell curve and quite blue except for at the peek. Hoping to see better colors out of the tank, believing that the issues with color is simply out of my constant fiddling with the light.
When it comes to the sun coral, I moved it today. Half of it opened up last night and it was fed. What didn't open was next to the symphodium that fragged itself off the mother colony much higher up from the sand bed.
The symphodium's color hasn't been 'popping' like it was. I'm believing it is because I dumped the green out of the lights. That said, the same might be what is going on with the long tentacle anemone rather than bleaching like I originally believed. I'll continue to monitor.
Sniperhank is offline  
Old 05-10-2015, 06:45 PM   #2089
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 60
I hope you can find the "magic formula" for your light - reading all of this continues to be very educational.




Allison
Freshwater fish-head for more than 20 years now, but salt water newbie.
__________________
RnBMum is offline  
Old 05-11-2015, 11:13 AM   #2090
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,245
Continued with adjustments today. I tuned back the pumps to the dual reactor to get a better 'boil' through the Purigen. GFO is tumbling as well as I expect it to. The sponges end up getting filled with the Purigen and has to be restricting flow. The experimenting with Purigen in panty hose is over, I didn't like it at all as it would get gunked up and restrict flow.
I also pulled out the hairy mushroom that has been battling the LTA. Good and dead. Now that one is down, I'm considering another that might be moving towards my big blue acro colony. Any closer and it's a goner. Done playing around with this common, ugly soft coral.
Sniperhank is offline  
Old 05-11-2015, 12:18 PM   #2091
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dary421's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego,ca
Posts: 2,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Continued with adjustments today. I tuned back the pumps to the dual reactor to get a better 'boil' through the Purigen. GFO is tumbling as well as I expect it to. The sponges end up getting filled with the Purigen and has to be restricting flow. The experimenting with Purigen in panty hose is over, I didn't like it at all as it would get gunked up and restrict flow.
I also pulled out the hairy mushroom that has been battling the LTA. Good and dead. Now that one is down, I'm considering another that might be moving towards my big blue acro colony. Any closer and it's a goner. Done playing around with this common, ugly soft coral.

Boy if there was one thing that I wish I had never introduced into my tank it would be the hairy mushrooms ,.. They seem to take over and destroy everything in their path ,... I've been slowly trying to take out what I can , they are relentless ,... For anyone considering them , word of warning ,... Don't !!!


Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Dary421 is offline  
Old 05-11-2015, 12:25 PM   #2092
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
spoonman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 3,720
I feel the same about pulsing xenia...cool at first, then they spread like wildfire!
spoonman is offline  
Old 05-11-2015, 12:26 PM   #2093
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Southern Cali
Posts: 1,734
I have yet to try it but I found some cross-stitch plastic canvas at Joannes crafts that has a very, very small hole size that I think will work as a rigid screen for Purigen.
Same stuff you are using for the ATS, but much finer. I think it's #14.
other than that there are the plastic media bags that Seachem sells.
__________________
PB_Smith is offline  
Old 05-11-2015, 12:26 PM   #2094
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,245
Yeah. Sadly, it isn't the only thing spreading in the tank like a weed. There are some green palys and a pretty common zoa...don't recall their name off the top of my head, that are slowly spreading their way around. No one ever seems to have that problem with a tank overrun by rastas...
Sniperhank is offline  
Old 05-11-2015, 12:29 PM   #2095
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
I have yet to try it but I found some cross-stitch plastic canvas at Joannes crafts that has a very, very small hole size that I think will work as a rigid screen for Purigen.
Same stuff you are using for the ATS, but much finer. I think it's #14.
other than that there are the plastic media bags that Seachem sells.
I have also tried "The Bag" as Seachem calls it. It gunked up too much as well. I thought a mighty fine product considering it is basically a plastic mesh bag held closed by an easily reusable over-sized zip tie.
I don't believe that I noted that I turned things up when I put things in 'bags'. It was today's realization that I didn't turn them back... After I check on how my mother is doing and getting some more things accomplished, I plan on shutting the reactor off again to rinse the Purigen out of the sponges in the BRS reactor.
Sniperhank is offline  
Old 05-11-2015, 12:33 PM   #2096
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,245
Oh, I didn't update on how the ATS is doing. Since widening the slit and increasing the flow, have more algae growth. It has officially begun to grow 'stringy' algae rather than whatever the brown 'dusting' is that starts off covering the screen. All in the right direction, but I still would have felt better if I had been able to hold a piece of screen that someone had used to feel how rough it needed to be. I roughed it up line no one's business, but am second guessing simply due to the roughness not being the extreme jagged some advertise. We'll see.
Sniperhank is offline  
Old 05-31-2015, 08:19 PM   #2097
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,245
Been some time, how life can get busy all at once. Ats is going strong. Algae is starting to grow thick in places but just starting to take foot in the circular area where the lights are. Hard to believe there is a thing called too much light.
Since removing several hairy mushrooms the green long tentacle has recovered. Color is back along with normal extension.
I've been feeding more. Might have been too soon for the ats as there is noticeable algae growth in the tank. Easily removed, but still. Cut back some.
The black sun coral has stopped opening. It hasn't moved, so assuming the new light in the living room is too strong or that nitrates are too high for it. Going to try a double water change this week to hope to get it back out as teasing with food hasn't done it. No signs of any recession.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Sniperhank is offline  
Old 06-02-2015, 02:09 PM   #2098
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dary421's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego,ca
Posts: 2,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Been some time, how life can get busy all at once. Ats is going strong. Algae is starting to grow thick in places but just starting to take foot in the circular area where the lights are. Hard to believe there is a thing called too much light.
Since removing several hairy mushrooms the green long tentacle has recovered. Color is back along with normal extension.
I've been feeding more. Might have been too soon for the ats as there is noticeable algae growth in the tank. Easily removed, but still. Cut back some.
The black sun coral has stopped opening. It hasn't moved, so assuming the new light in the living room is too strong or that nitrates are too high for it. Going to try a double water change this week to hope to get it back out as teasing with food hasn't done it. No signs of any recession.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hank , so how physically did you get rid of some of those hairy mushrooms , I've got a bunch more I gotta take out , they've become a " invasive species" now


Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Dary421 is offline  
Old 06-02-2015, 03:37 PM   #2099
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,245
Toothbrush and siphon...
Sniperhank is offline  
Old 06-02-2015, 05:10 PM   #2100
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dary421's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego,ca
Posts: 2,927
Mine are the size of small pancakes, I may need a wire brush and a vacuum cleaner


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
Dary421 is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
55 gallon, build, reef build, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.