Sniperhank's UPGRADED 55 gal Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I only wish I could as it only opens up at night. So, either too blue'd out or would be ugly flash. Haven't done any thought towards getting it trained to open up during the day.

Also, rubberbanded algae sheets to a rock and was able to get the fish to eat it. They didn't seem to like the clip. Makes sense for the tomini, but not everything else.

I had to start my tang on rubberband algae. He later took to the clipped algae. Now he eats everything I throw in the tank

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Shy. Everything in the tank is pretty tolerant of each other. The tomini did enjoy some chasing of the coral beauty away from the algae rock, but it was pretty minimal.

Well the summer must be upon us already. Woke up today and it was 86 in the living room. That then makes it 86 in the tank. Ac is officially in run all day mode. Only 2 things of note, the long tentacle is bleached and the sun coral didn't extend polyps last night. Both might be not related, due to the hairy mushroom vs lta going on still and the sun coral might be too close to a symphodium frag. I'll fiddle around some tonight, but I might simply remove the lta. Well see.

Well the summer must be upon us already. Woke up today and it was 86 in the living room. That then makes it 86 in the tank. Ac is officially in run all day mode. Only 2 things of note, the long tentacle is bleached and the sun coral didn't extend polyps last night. Both might be not related, due to the hairy mushroom vs lta going on still and the sun coral might be too close to a symphodium frag. I'll fiddle around some tonight, but I might simply remove the lta. Well see.

It just might be Time to get a cooler hank

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

So today I decided to change the 'mode' my Radions are in. Exported what I was using and am now using a 'deep ocean' ramp on the tank. Simple bell curve and quite blue except for at the peek. Hoping to see better colors out of the tank, believing that the issues with color is simply out of my constant fiddling with the light.
When it comes to the sun coral, I moved it today. Half of it opened up last night and it was fed. What didn't open was next to the symphodium that fragged itself off the mother colony much higher up from the sand bed.
The symphodium's color hasn't been 'popping' like it was. I'm believing it is because I dumped the green out of the lights. That said, the same might be what is going on with the long tentacle anemone rather than bleaching like I originally believed. I'll continue to monitor.

I hope you can find the "magic formula" for your light - reading all of this continues to be very educational.

Allison
Freshwater fish-head for more than 20 years now, but salt water newbie.

Continued with adjustments today. I tuned back the pumps to the dual reactor to get a better 'boil' through the Purigen. GFO is tumbling as well as I expect it to. The sponges end up getting filled with the Purigen and has to be restricting flow. The experimenting with Purigen in panty hose is over, I didn't like it at all as it would get gunked up and restrict flow.
I also pulled out the hairy mushroom that has been battling the LTA. Good and dead. Now that one is down, I'm considering another that might be moving towards my big blue acro colony. Any closer and it's a goner. Done playing around with this common, ugly soft coral.

Continued with adjustments today. I tuned back the pumps to the dual reactor to get a better 'boil' through the Purigen. GFO is tumbling as well as I expect it to. The sponges end up getting filled with the Purigen and has to be restricting flow. The experimenting with Purigen in panty hose is over, I didn't like it at all as it would get gunked up and restrict flow.
I also pulled out the hairy mushroom that has been battling the LTA. Good and dead. Now that one is down, I'm considering another that might be moving towards my big blue acro colony. Any closer and it's a goner. Done playing around with this common, ugly soft coral.

Boy if there was one thing that I wish I had never introduced into my tank it would be the hairy mushrooms ,.. They seem to take over and destroy everything in their path ,... I've been slowly trying to take out what I can , they are relentless ,... For anyone considering them , word of warning ,... Don't !!! :)

I have yet to try it but I found some cross-stitch plastic canvas at Joannes crafts that has a very, very small hole size that I think will work as a rigid screen for Purigen.
Same stuff you are using for the ATS, but much finer. I think it's #14.
other than that there are the plastic media bags that Seachem sells.

Yeah. Sadly, it isn't the only thing spreading in the tank like a weed. There are some green palys and a pretty common zoa...don't recall their name off the top of my head, that are slowly spreading their way around. No one ever seems to have that problem with a tank overrun by rastas...

I have yet to try it but I found some cross-stitch plastic canvas at Joannes crafts that has a very, very small hole size that I think will work as a rigid screen for Purigen.
Same stuff you are using for the ATS, but much finer. I think it's #14.
other than that there are the plastic media bags that Seachem sells.

I have also tried "The Bag" as Seachem calls it. It gunked up too much as well. I thought a mighty fine product considering it is basically a plastic mesh bag held closed by an easily reusable over-sized zip tie.
I don't believe that I noted that I turned things up when I put things in 'bags'. It was today's realization that I didn't turn them back... After I check on how my mother is doing and getting some more things accomplished, I plan on shutting the reactor off again to rinse the Purigen out of the sponges in the BRS reactor.

Oh, I didn't update on how the ATS is doing. Since widening the slit and increasing the flow, have more algae growth. It has officially begun to grow 'stringy' algae rather than whatever the brown 'dusting' is that starts off covering the screen. All in the right direction, but I still would have felt better if I had been able to hold a piece of screen that someone had used to feel how rough it needed to be. I roughed it up line no one's business, but am second guessing simply due to the roughness not being the extreme jagged some advertise. We'll see.

Been some time, how life can get busy all at once. Ats is going strong. Algae is starting to grow thick in places but just starting to take foot in the circular area where the lights are. Hard to believe there is a thing called too much light.
Since removing several hairy mushrooms the green long tentacle has recovered. Color is back along with normal extension.
I've been feeding more. Might have been too soon for the ats as there is noticeable algae growth in the tank. Easily removed, but still. Cut back some.
The black sun coral has stopped opening. It hasn't moved, so assuming the new light in the living room is too strong or that nitrates are too high for it. Going to try a double water change this week to hope to get it back out as teasing with food hasn't done it. No signs of any recession.

Been some time, how life can get busy all at once. Ats is going strong. Algae is starting to grow thick in places but just starting to take foot in the circular area where the lights are. Hard to believe there is a thing called too much light.
Since removing several hairy mushrooms the green long tentacle has recovered. Color is back along with normal extension.
I've been feeding more. Might have been too soon for the ats as there is noticeable algae growth in the tank. Easily removed, but still. Cut back some.
The black sun coral has stopped opening. It hasn't moved, so assuming the new light in the living room is too strong or that nitrates are too high for it. Going to try a double water change this week to hope to get it back out as teasing with food hasn't done it. No signs of any recession.

Hank , so how physically did you get rid of some of those hairy mushrooms , I've got a bunch more I gotta take out , they've become a " invasive species" now :)

Mine are the size of small pancakes, I may need a wire brush and a vacuum cleaner :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom