Sniperhank's UPGRADED 55 gal Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got home with the 20 long and the baffles cut by Lowes. Sadly, I just can't make a simple trip without extras. I also picked up a lawnmower blenny...I broke too many rules today. This guy came home with me along with a mini carpet nem (I swore I'd never try to keep a nem) and a lobster. This guy was advertised as purple, but he's red so I'm not sure about that identification. But he's pretty big and really cool. He wont be living in my 55, but the 36. So renaming this thread UPGRADE 55 gal build and the 36 lol.
img_1954883_0_fbe7c6aa3f3ae1e229ac0c72be78b13b.jpg

Yeah, I felt the same way. First time I had ever seen one, and I bought it. Don't see him except for sometimes at night, but he's cool!
Being from New England, I thought it would be really neat to have my own lobster!
Best of luck with him Sniper.

Tank looks good! The hair algae will go away. I personally wouldn't rip it off. Just let the CUC take care of it. Jmo.

Sniperhank said:
When I came home it had totally clogged my skimmer and was almost as long as my forearm...it needed to go away.

The lobster looks cool. Hair algae sounds gross! I hope you get it under control soon.

Yeah, the hair algae in my 55 is outrageously out of control. Got 2/4 baffles in place last night with the assistance of my dad. Unknown at this time if he was the correct choice for assistance. When I post pics of the finished product you aren't going to see gobs of silicon like everyone elses, I can tell you that much. If it holds water, that'll be another story LOL. But once it is up and running, which it should be ready to go on Sunday, I'll have everything up and running. I have enough PVC to replumb everything and my aqualifter got here yesterday. Getting this up and running with the fuge, carbon, and gfo should make a huge impact on the issue.

As for the new additions, lobster took over goby's cave and is doing well. Glad that's where he picked his home, I can see him all the time. Still unsure how I'm going to feed him...maybe just toss an entire mysis cube into the tank for him lol. The blenny hasn't moved far but is looking healthy. The carpet nem...I knew it was going to do this too, has attached himself to the blue candy cane that I am still nursing back to health. I'll try to get him off on Sunday if he is still there.

Ok, did more cleaning of the algae out of the tank today. I threw some GFO into a filter floss sock I had and tossed it into the HOB filter I'm running until my sump is up and ready to go. Speaking of which, I discovered a leak in it. Totally missed a corner. I knew I should have got the black silicon. Aside from that, I installed my BRS RO/DI. It is running the first couple gallons through it as we speak and ready to make water. Just being held up by the sump. Going to take the carbon and GFO out of the reactor that has been just sitting there today as well and get all of the PVC plumbing torn out as I wait to do it all over again.

Well, here is the finished product!
img_1961790_0_9507ebe1603d688bd61c82fc875f61d1.jpg

I started getting water into it, but am not in a huge hurry still. Going to need an adapter to get my pump onto the dual reactor. Hose is too small. On a bright note, since adding the GFO into the hob filter, my algae is quickly dying off. Can't wait to get it and carbon going in the reactor.

Looks good Sniper, can't wait to see it all hooked up and running!
Hope all goes well for you!

So far it is looking good. Still need to get the overflow on...checking it for leaks first...and modifying the return some. Have started putting some of the things in like the ato and uv sterilizer. The rest will go in once it is up and running. Noticed a tiny leak from intake into the fuge area...but I filled it up. Won't be a problem. Just need to get the last couple of pieces to finish this project off and I'll really be going strong. Maybe even enough to have more than 4 fish! LOL.

The clowns have been trying to keep the coral beauty away from their algae rock. The blenny is out and about, very active. The GFO taking out the algae has pulled alot of stuff out into the open, even the emerald crab. Might have to invest in seaweed sheets in the near future.

Been thinking, purple lobster in the 55. Thoughts?

I think the lobster would be fine in the 55. I've never seen mine pick at anything. I usually drop a small piece of silverside down into his cave every 2 weeks. Figure if I give him some food, he won't go hunting around for any!! I have occasionally lost smaller fish, never to be seen again, but I can't prove that it was him.

GFO is a product that removed phosphates from the water. I have country well water, it has nasty crap in it.

Didn't finish the sump today, finished filling it though. Decided it was time to actually get my hammer and torch mounted onto rocks. I also discovered my orange ric had made a new friend, so i glued him to the ric rock as well. Have room on there for one more ric, after that they'll go somewhere lol.

img_1962941_0_c6871b085c620c42ff19dd106345b1db.jpg

img_1962941_1_7c314d4d540e4d6c9b3fbcf8e71836bc.jpg

img_1962941_2_fcdf61bc5406bebe29f7c98fddff71a0.jpg

It might not be an issue for you. It is for me as my spring is on the side of a hill which has a corn field at the top. The neighbors use natural fertilizer with chemicals to keep the bugs down. So I have to be careful on when they spray. The belief is that these chemicals killed off my 55 when it first started up, just have no proof...much more likely than stray current. But the fertilizer causes organic phosphate issues for me. Replacing my RO/DI with a larger unit along with the GFO has produced nice results. Only hair algae left in my tank is under direct lighting.

I really like my BRS dual reactor. Just need to get the correct fitting so I can hook it up to a pump all its own to make sure water is getting through it, where before it just didn't get enough if any flow at all.

With this larger sump setup, I have room for everything I could even want to add to my system. I already have the ATO and UV sterilizer hooked up in the intake section, which will also have my skimmer and the pump for my dual reactor, which is hanging on the back of the stand. Then into my refugium and then just the return pump and heater in the return section. Still scratching my head on where the heater will be in all honesty, it was going to be in the intake, but I've used up most of the room in there. Only fuge and return remain. It'll probably end up in the fuge section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom