Sniperhank's UPGRADED 55 gal Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like great stuff Sniper! Red Sympodium huh? Never seen that one! I think the Ce..., is Cephastrea? Also called Meteor Shower. I've got one too, they look really cool!
Good job finding the Nudi. He was eating a pretty high dollar coral!
Best of luck with them. (y)

Yes, you hit the nail on the head with the meteor shower. When I saw carry's my jaw dropped. I had never even heard of one before!

This other coral I'd never heard of before either...I'm mad I forgot it's name and my receipt just says "coral". I'll have a pic of it tomorrow.

Cool, can't wait to see them! I had a nice blue/green Sympodium for awhile, but I lost it. Think I burned it with some old salt, chunky variety. Luckily, that's the only thing i burned!! :facepalm:
Never seen a red one though, looking forward to it.

I also run TFT LEDs on my frag tank and have them 15" from the top. They are 150w each. It just takes time to acclimate the corals

We are going to have to meet eachother some day for a major frag trade lol. Sounds amazing.

Red sympodium sounds cool, considering how pretty the blue is. How are all the sps coloring up under your radions?

NOt sure to be honest...I was gone forever and came back so late lights were out. I actually did raise my lights some last night. When I get home I'm actually going to measure and see how far up they are...they might only be 10 inches above at this point. The more I think about it the higher up they need to be.

Oh, and the moonlighting came in yesterday while I was out too. I'll be a busy boy today.

Quick update before I give you all what you've been waiting for. There is brown algae all over my tank. UGH. Must not have seen it last night, had to have been there. It is on my corals, but I blew it off with my turkey baster. It killed my pink bird's nest sadly. I redid some of the rock and rearranged 2 of my powerheads in hopes to get better flow. If I have to, I'll pull the other 750 from the 36, which will leave it at no ph, and put it in the 55. I'm not having anything die because it was overwhelmed by garbage algae.

Went to install the moonlighting today. It came with an adapter...for europe or something. Doesn't fit in a socket, it is mammoth. Going to try to get ahold of the guy and do something about it.

Red Symphodium
img_1990396_0_9ef07e11bbb7c87a997079a3e092787f.jpg

Meteor Shower
img_1990396_1_0b1e6df6a76cfa55bc91c191223977e6.jpg

Orange Plating Monti
img_1990396_2_3db66b4692e0f3128e3e71fa98680cad.jpg

And I can't remember...Red polyp something
img_1990396_3_69cc5292f24b032a88f612f04995c334.jpg

Corals look great! They are huge! That's stinks about the moonlight, hopefully the guy will be cool about it. The algae seems like cyano from the pic of the monti, I'm not sure though.

Nope, cyano comes in a bunch of colors. Black, brown, red, golden brown, bluish green... Trust me, I've had em all lol. Its not Dino, it would look different. Might be diatoms, but your cuc would have probably take Care of that.

It was the same with me. It definitely didn't come on over night though in my situation, but it did come fast after I saw a little. After talking to people in the hobby near me, almost everyone has cyano issues in the first few months of starting the tank. Mine was so bad, I had to use red slime remover. I haven't seen it since and I've added a lot since then. It was the push I needed to get it gone, I tried a lot of pwc, blackout, and constant picking it out.

Hold back on that first. Try pulling out as much as possible, also do more pwc for like a few weeks. That might be enough. It doesnt look like you have much.

Well, the garbage is still in the tank, sticking to the rocks, sides, and coral. I keep blowing it off the coral and wiping it off the glass. Don't believe it is cyano, but I dosed red slime remover anyway.

Ok, 72 hour work week is over as is my 14 day stretch. Somehow through all of this, in my opinion, neglect of my tank...I've got control of the brown slime issue. Thank god for proper maintenance. I still need to work more of it out of my sump and I still have to clean it off the sides of my tank, but it isn't overwhelming everything now.

I'll have the water change on Monday. The water is already made up, but I have to help my sister move back into my parent's home tomorrow...joy of joys. But during that water change I'll clean the rest of the garbage out.

Good luck with getting your tank back to where you want it. Maybe then you can take a rest....darn!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom