Sniperhank's UPGRADED 55 gal Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As promised, the rest of the pics.
img_2023443_0_c5466fc7628318c4e172ec87304397ca.jpg

img_2023443_1_262f7396babd39b7fb557275d3e43fbf.jpg

img_2023443_2_83b841788bd2fed0f05d66669954ee20.jpg

img_2023443_3_4496a48cbb52eff36981422f3cdde97b.jpg

img_2023443_4_93faa31316414f7a725ffdbb242f20da.jpg

img_2023443_5_8ec2093b90c9d8efd623b9deca7f5f43.jpg

img_2023443_6_63f487eba38025ed6d4b2c21df95ce27.jpg

img_2023443_7_5156c535de0c2d732726d3007d5d0293.jpg

img_2023443_7_5156c535de0c2d732726d3007d5d0293.jpg

Seaclone to reef octopus is like going from pinto to Cadillac.

Wait till you see the difference. I did the same upgrade about 6 months ago.

Well, came home today to my water level being oddly high and my sump being strangely low. Thankfully my ATO ran out of water. Being honest, I'm still not sure what is up. I took apart my overflow and my return pump. Return pump is running fine, even modified it to make sure there wasn't a clog...not get angry at the situation and start cutting, I swear! But, it still seems like I only have a trickle...IDK, keeping an eye on it.

Side note, I hate cheato. That stupid ball of algae just sinks and floats around. I turn it and all that jazz...but it doesn't seem to do anything. My money plant is growing. Doubled in size since I got it...just that stupid cheato.

Sounds like their is something partially clogging your drain line.
I found yesterday that one of my drain lines was a little slack in flow, causing my tank to ride a little high too. I never put the screens over my Dursos, because I put covers over the overflow boxes to block light from getting into the boxes, and causing algae, both in the box and in the overflow combs. I didn't screen the Dursos because I wanted maximum flow. Apparently, before I put the covers over the boxes, an Astrea snail crawled in there. I put a long, skinny metal rod through the hole on top of the Dursos, and could feel/hear something in there. Assuming it was a snail shell, I gently pulverized it, and it fell into the sump.....Astrea! Flow was back to normal.
I put those covers on like 8 months ago, so it had been in there a long time, but only disrupted flow here and there. I had noticed less flow out of that box before, but couldn't figure it out. Luckily I found a way to clear it without taking it all apart!
Anyway Sniper, sounds like something might be in the drain pipe.

Well, it wasn't a clog. Algae got up into the tube on the overflow. Appears to be back to normal.

While I have your attention, why hasn't my maxima planted its foot yet?

Sniperhank said:
Well, it wasn't a clog. Algae got up into the tube on the overflow. Appears to be back to normal.

While I have your attention, why hasn't my maxima planted its foot yet?

Glad it was an easy fix for you, could have really been a pain.
Wish I could help with the clam, but I've only had one in the past, and after about 6 months, unhinged and died. I don't know too much about them.

I still read your thread all the time Sniper, but I try to only post if I have something solid to offer.
Sometimes hard to tell what will be deemed off-topic, or chit-chat based, and get reprimanded for it! I got an infraction, with Gboy and NuNu's thread because I said I was bringing in my big Red Monti for trade. Even though we were discussing Red Montipora earlier, and it got their thread closed. Felt horrible, apologized to Grant and Jack in a PM, and they said no biggie, but still felt really bad.
Anyway, still reading daily, just only posting something when I'm sure it won't get the OP's thread closed!! :-(
Best of luck with the Maxima :)

How is the rbta doing? Hopefully the clam will get himself all figured out. Isn't chaeto suppose to be a ball of algae that doesn't do anything? I've no experience with it, but I think it's pretty.

My rbta is doing great. I manipulated his placement to the other side of the tank, where I wanted him to go to begin with, by moving the entire rock he was on. He is as happy as a clam...while the clam is just not placing his foot for whatever reason.

And everything I have ever read about chaeto is that some people just struggle with it. I shouldn't be surprised that I end up being one of those people...Now that I addressed the issue with my sump, maybe things will improve...but if it doesn't I'm throwing that stupid thing into the yard. I know the cheato isn't doing well since small pieces of it keep falling off. I pulled one out of my pump and saw one flowing through my DT yesterday that has vanished... I'll just buy a different macro like the money plant I already have.

You'll throw your sump out into the yard?! LOL! Don't do that! Mail it to me! But you have to pay shipping.... Cause I don't want to.

I'm glad the rbta is doing swell. Hopefully the chaeto straightens up. And the clam... Maybe it needs company. Get another one!

Clams will take a few weeks to plant. They have to find their happy spot. After a year or so, youMIGHT notice that it is actually eating away at the rock to fully secure itself not only with its foot, but also a snug hole the exact size of its shell

That is incredible...I searched all over for that answer. Thank you.

So, just leave it where it is at since it is acting...happy as a clam...or move him to either more flow/light?

Sniperhank said:
That is incredible...I searched all over for that answer. Thank you.

So, just leave it where it is at since it is acting...happy as a clam...or move him to either more flow/light?

A maxima clam will actually "push" itself off the rocks if it is not happy. I had one jump several times before it found a spot that it liked. If it is opening up nicely and not jumping- leave him be

Sorry I haven't posted a while, I was on vacation. I also think there might be a drain line issue.. How are the corals doing? Also, what's your stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom