Sniperhank's UPGRADED 55 gal Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Side note...canopies...they sit directly on the tank, right? IDK, kinda freaks me out some. I'm thinking about building a stand and canopy for the 55. Maybe I'll build a stand, put the tank on it and rehang my lights...then build a canopy with some small supports on the corners or something...maybe a larger support on the back...

I got a Corallife 220 super skimmer in my 20g sumo feeding my 55g. I showed signs within days. My problem is a little too strong on the return

I fabricated mine out of aluminum. It just sits on the top with alumn. angle

Attachments

• image-4269220855.jpg
    image-4269220855.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 122
  • image-3260173001.jpg
    image-3260173001.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 101
  • image-3787653157.jpg
    image-3787653157.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 93
This is a week of clean up after being unplugged for a couple of days. It takes a day or so to tune in put definetally pulls stuff out

Attachments

• image-2906964116.jpg
    image-2906964116.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 83
Steve silbernagel said:
Problem I find with that is wood absorbs water. If u do seal it with Thompson water sealer

+1.
On the idea But imho use any polyurethane water based for indoor wood floors do not use out door based sealents. Like thompson for wood decks.. sorry steve to much to leeching on the uvb additives for it to be above an aquarium. In fact use min wax aerosol can to apply after stain.. I had a small hand in development of their product years ago and being a reefer i always look at the potential of a product in regards to my tank.

Sniperhank said:
Side note...canopies...they sit directly on the tank, right? IDK, kinda freaks me out some. I'm thinking about building a stand and canopy for the 55. Maybe I'll build a stand, put the tank on it and rehang my lights...then build a canopy with some small supports on the corners or something...maybe a larger support on the back...

As you may know, I did that. I like it, but I think it looks nice without it also. If you did a better
Job than me, which in sure you would because it was my first time building with wood.. Youd love it. If you'd like to learn how I did it with what I used, just ask.

Well, if I do it it'd be an entire new setup for the 55...then i'd have to move it off of the stand it's already on...ugh. If I do anything I'll prob just build a canopy and move the tank and stand to where I want it to be. The guy who built the stand for the tank when he ran it put it on wheels.

Back to the important topic! Came home last night and a piece of filter floss that all of my pods came in was stuck in the skimmer's pump! It wasn't very happy...so I removed it. I wake up this morning to it skimming! Dear Coralvue, SUCK IT TREBECK. Won't skim cuz there isn't enough waste in your system lol.

I'm hoping that things pick up. Whatever is feeding my algae growth is def hampering the growth...but the birds nest and my capricornis are growing really well. I actually thought they were bleaching since I'd never seen growth like that! The others I'm not really seeing anything major out of them...The 2 acros that I thought were dead actually still have some meat on them, the one barely and I think it might be gone as of this morning...but the purple na na still has 2 large spots on it. I'm thinking about gluing it to stop any future tissue loss/bleaching. I'm hoping that the 2 montis take of as well. The orange one is just a great coral to look at. The new periwinkle one is amazing looking with its green polyps. Work in progress.

Today is side track day! I went to get paint for the back of my tank. I came back with a rock with 6 hairy mushrooms on it for 50 bucks! Then, I pulled the watchman, gramma, and clown out of the 36. The watchman and gramma were traded for a cardinal. The cardinal and clown went into the 55. So now the 55 has a green mandarin, coral beauty, 2 occy clowns, indigo dottyback, and a cardinal fish. 55 gal is done.

Wait, what about the other tank? Oh man, there is a snowflake eel in there.

Believe it or not, snowflakes can actually be kept in them! I wish I had one, they are beautiful. Of course you have to worry about them biting your finger off though ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom