Sniperhank's UPGRADED 55 gal Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard some iffy things about glasscages. I forget what it was, maybe they didn't use enough silicone or something. I completely can't remember..

FINALLY got it going again. Took long enough. I had to drain the entire thing and yell at it before it would work. Seems better than the last time I had to do this, so winning! Tank isn't very happy though. I'll be messing with it for the next couple of days to get it back up and running nicely.

Paid off my credit cards today too. Also looked at a 75 gal drilled tank w/ stand and canopy w/ 6 bulb t5ho. 400 bucks...still thinking about it, but i'd need a uhaul to get it from state college. We'll see, I'll think about it more.

needmorecowbell said:
I've heard some iffy things about glasscages. I forget what it was, maybe they didn't use enough silicone or something. I completely can't remember..

Heard some stuff too... My LFS said they've seen them wicked flimsy... To the point where they bow out 8-(

I think that was more of a pipe dream for that cheap. Still lots of options, just thinking it through via the thread lol. Still should buy a house before the next tank.

Could always look into an undrilled new or used tank and drill holes yourself...? I just acquired a 75 gallon tank and stand on a trade, and had someone drill 3 holes for me, all bulkheads installed, and spray painted the back black for $135...

It has no tag or anything saying it is tempered or not. With only 1 tank, don't really want to chance it. That and the skills with my hands are quite limited lol.

I hear ya... I had to call Aqueon 2 times to find out if my 75 was tempered. There's a few ways of determining tempered or not, but I needed to hear from the manufacturer before I felt good
about it.

Drilling tempered is possible there's just a rite way to do it. Diamond hole saw of course, lots of water to cool it as it cuts, and go real slow. A friend of mine did it.

Steve silbernagel said:
Drilling tempered is possible there's just a rite way to do it. Diamond hole saw of course, lots of water to cool it as it cuts, and go real slow. A friend of mine did it.

I don't believe this to be true. I could very well be wrong but I'm almost positive once its tempered there is absolutely no drilling possible.

Current update, things are as close to being on auto pilot as possible. Working a ton. It's been like this for awhile, which made water changes a biweekly event. Things in the tank don't really seem to mind. I discovered the reason my overflow failed, the aqualifter burnt out. I switched the 2 aqualifters, from my ATO onto the overflow. Overflow back up and running and discovered the ato wasn't...well...ato'ing. So I disconnected the ato and doing topoffs before I go to work and when I get home. Still about a gallon a day for my system atm.
In terms of my coral that didn't handle the power outage well, the jury is still out...the blue bottle brush still has no color, but haven't been home to look for polyp extention. My treasured orange monti is also still quite bleached with algae on the white now... unknown if there is any life left in it. On a positive note, the new starburst acro I picked up from Aquacare has all of its polyps out. I'm very excited about this. It is still brown in color, but it has been through alot with 2 day shipping and a 5 hour blackout.

I'm thinking about picking up a calcium, alk, and phosphate hanna test kits and see exactly how my tank is doing. I don't test alk and my other tests are api...so they aren't usable at all.

Ehh I'd skip on the phosphate one unless your really interested. But the Alk and calc are good, I use salifert for them.

If anything I'd say just get the phosphate one since its the only one you actually need to get the accurate readings that you have to have lol. The alk and calcium would be more luxury but the phos Hanna is a must if your testing for it.

Mrc8858 said:
If anything I'd say just get the phosphate one since its the only one you actually need to get the accurate readings that you have to have lol. The alk and calcium would be more luxury but the phos Hanna is a must if your testing for it.

Hahaha sorry I agree with you. I forgot that Hannah's were the colorometer ones. But alk and calcium need to be tested before phosphate. Just not with such a fancy kit.

Pff, fancy kit...all 3 have been ordered! I still think something just isn't right in my tank... Started a thread regarding LEDs, coral color, and lower light coral like my meteor shower and with that info will be tossing real test kits ontop of that.

Sniperhank said:
Pff, fancy kit...all 3 have been ordered! I still think something just isn't right in my tank... Started a thread regarding LEDs, coral color, and lower light coral like my meteor shower and with that info will be tossing real test kits ontop of that.

Haha nice!! Hope you find the issue!

Got my hanna tests, new aqualifter, and some more glue in the mail today. Will fiddle with it all before work tomorrow. Since I got all my Xmas shopping done today...I treated myself. Have 3 more pom poms, a blood shrimp, red bone grass, flame angel, and a purple rimmed plate coral coming my way.

So, arrow crab will be going into the 36 with these new additions. I'd been wanting a blood shrimp for awhile but they were never available. Bone grass into my fuge which I will be restarting. And the flame angel will be into the 36 as well. That'll set things up to be done for quite some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom