Sniperhank's UPGRADED 55 gal Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A massive thing appeared in my tank. It is huge. Size of a half dollar, black. I thought it was a mushroom until it used tentacle feet to move away. By the time I snapped a picture it was gone. Who knows which of my precious corals its munching on! There's a pic of it in the I'd section. Never seen anything like it.

Was unable to get the thing out of my tank last night. Took a toothbrush to its back and my blood shrimp went nuts consuming the bits...hopefully it does not survive.

Did a water change and dosed Purple Up as I'm out of stuff to increase my alk until more arrives in the mail. Adjusted the intensity of the Radions. Now at 58% power with a short peak at 64%. Things are going well, just concerned at how my plate coral pulls back into the skeleton at peak power. It is coloring up, just a concern.

Added the cuc, pods, and nudibranches. They are pretty cool. Much larger than I thought they would be. They'll be happy in the system and its algae that builds up. They started to go to town upon being put in after short acclimation.

They are lettuce nudi's. I have read that sometimes they will chew on byropsis, but that seemed like a few and far between statement. I did discover where my byropsis was hiding. It took root against the back wall between the wall and a powerhead. Cleaned that up. I'm sure it is still around, but it is in check. If I end up seeing one chew on some byropsis I'll let you know. Is your outbreak bad or are you just paranoid about it?

Also, I caught the rogue nudibranch last night. I relocated him in the 36 FOWLR tank with the eel and flame angel. It has adjusted and doing its thing and I will continue to watch it. I've never seen a nudi like it. Rather than it having the riffled ridges along its back...it is more like a skirt the whole way around it. Pretty cool. Reminds me of an egg after you crack it...just with a black skirt and white center. I'm debating what it was eating...it can't be new to my tank as nothing new has been added that could have carried something that large in quite some time. I'm thinking it was in one of the mud spots in some of the LR that I couldn't get cleaned out.

OH I FORGOT! While hunting for the nudi, I happened to look at my blue bottle brush. It has it's color back! It isn't fully back, but that's progress.

My zoas are also multiplying quickly. I have a couple plugs in my 36 that I'm thinking about clearing off and putting them on. Maybe a donation to a pal who might be following this thread who is thinking about opening a shop or maybe a nice trade for someone someday. Hell, even my birdsnest frags are doing great! Need to get them out to make room for more. My birdsnest is massive and needs trimmed.

They are lettuce nudi's. I have read that sometimes they will chew on byropsis, but that seemed like a few and far between statement. I did discover where my byropsis was hiding. It took root against the back wall between the wall and a powerhead. Cleaned that up. I'm sure it is still around, but it is in check. If I end up seeing one chew on some byropsis I'll let you know. Is your outbreak bad or are you just paranoid about it?

Also, I caught the rogue nudibranch last night. I relocated him in the 36 FOWLR tank with the eel and flame angel. It has adjusted and doing its thing and I will continue to watch it. I've never seen a nudi like it. Rather than it having the riffled ridges along its back...it is more like a skirt the whole way around it. Pretty cool. Reminds me of an egg after you crack it...just with a black skirt and white center. I'm debating what it was eating...it can't be new to my tank as nothing new has been added that could have carried something that large in quite some time. I'm thinking it was in one of the mud spots in some of the LR that I couldn't get cleaned out.

It's gotten bad once again, I'm not even enjoying my tank the way it is. I completely nuked the tank and its still coming back. Only thing left is Gfo, of that doesn't work, I'm tempted to by all new base rock.. Or just give in.

GFO might help. Don't really know. I just read about how rough byropsis is. I have found a patch, killed it, found it in my overflow, killed it, found it in a powerhead, killed it. We'll see...I'm raising my alk as we speak so hopefully this is also helping. You did high alk too right?

GFO might help. Don't really know. I just read about how rough byropsis is. I have found a patch, killed it, found it in my overflow, killed it, found it in a powerhead, killed it. We'll see...I'm raising my alk as we speak so hopefully this is also helping. You did high alk too right?

Yep, I did high alk. Only use kent m, it has something in it that helps. But it didn't too all that much for me. Be vigorous and when you see it, tear it out asap. It spreads everywhere and fast. Good luck, it's unbelievably hard to remove.

I just pulled it out with some airline tubing running a siphon near it when I did it. If it is in my overflow, I'm ok with it. That is much more controlable than it being in the tank.

Woke up today and my rbta moved! Kind of odd since he has been happy in his spot for quite some time now. Thankfully, he moved to the back of the tank and not on a coral. He picked a nice spot, the meteor shower that died and I pushed the skeleton behind the rock is where it is currently sitting. Planning on doing a 5g pwc tomorrow as normally scheduled, but maybe do a 10 g if I can get the water for it. I didn't have any real concerns until I started watching my gbta. This guy just hasn't adapted well to my tank ever, either hiding or just acting angry. But, after he had been looking the best he had been in the last few days his mouth was really gapped. Hoping that it wasn't him that caused this, but a large water change will be good for my system anyway.

Also, found some more byropsis hiding on my back glass behind the rocks while I was looking at my rbta. Can't get to it so I'm not worried about it for the most part.

Also started doing some reading about Radions from mrsaltwaterfish when he first got them compared to MH. Read is here btw: Mr. Saltwater Tank’s Radion LED Experiment
It is interesting that he was running his radions at 100%. This was in his SPS tank, and I really don't think that it is even doable for LPS at that intensity. At 60% power I have to put my LPS in the shade. Eitherway, more researching for me. I just want to have my corals be as bright as everyon elses at this point. I have a beautiful starlight acro that shows its light blue polyps, but it is still quite brown.

While I'm thinking about my corals, any insight on plate corals? This might just be me being picky...as I bought my purple rimmed plate from saltwaterfish.com. In the picture when I bought it it was white and purple. But...coral shouldn't be white...right???

I have the same plate coral and it's white with purple too. Had it forever and it seems healthy.

Just wanted to share my nudibranch pal.
img_2235361_0_ad90ce3938492370f1df591d4e0d2131.jpg

I kept having issues getting a picture of mine, so I googled, and this is EXACTLY what mine looks like during the day.

Attachments

• purpleplatecoral.jpg
    purpleplatecoral.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 105
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom