Sniperhank's UPGRADED 55 gal Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That plate just makes me nervous. Just not used to white and I can't get it's tentacles to come out. Have my blue trumpet real close to it with its out 24/7.

I've had my plate for a year and never seen a tentacle one. At night it puffs up quite large, about 1-1.5" thick to get the sand off itself, and stays all night and deflates during the day. I'm not sure if this species has tentacles?.. Interesting to find out.

That would be an interesting thing to find out. I though all Lps coral had at least some type of sweeper tentacle or something to feed or protect themselves.

I looked and looked last night and while I never found our plate with a direct picture of before and after, it did appear, from reading, that our plates do have very small tentacles that come out for feeding. They are normally hidden within the coral skeleton.

All the pics I could find weren't great, so I took faith with the reading.

From what I know of plates (fungia) is they all fall into either short or long tentacled types which I have a solid orange short tentacle and its sweepers are out all day and all night. That's all my lps though like my acans and brains too which for the life of me I can't figure out why but they are still growing fast and beautifully colored so I can't complain lol. Honestly even during mid day mine is inflated like a balloon about to burst lol

Yeah, only my trumpet is like that. Kind of ironic since I thought it was dead before I put it into the 55. It's odd how I have difficulty with Lps, but my sps do so well. I'm thinking that when I finally get around to upgrading tanks that ill give it all the bells and whistles. I'm thinking about calcium reactor, reef keeper, ats, and whatever else I can think of putting on it. I just love my toys lol. Just need to find a reef ready tank for the right price. Last one that was decent was one that came with an 8 t5ho. It made the price too high for my liking. Everything else I find is people who have algae filled tanks that they think are worth hundreds more than it really is. Don't know why anyone would want to buy a tank full of green water. Oh well, not my problem it seems.
Back to my plate. It acts just like was stated before. Inflated at night and shows skeleton during the day. It freaks me out. The purple rim has increased in intensity, so it has to be doing well in its shades overhang in the sand.

So, some nice deals on saltwaterfish.com...20 dollar sebae and 20 dollar mystery brain coral...put that together with a derasa clam and I'm really tempted right now. Anyone want to talk me out of it since my tank is full?

So, some nice deals on saltwaterfish.com...20 dollar sebae and 20 dollar mystery brain coral...put that together with a derasa clam and I'm really tempted right now. Anyone want to talk me out of it since my tank is full?

Your last clam didnt make it! A nem will kill all your coral. If you must order something... I suggest blue hornet zoas.

It's an easier clam this time. You're right, forget the nem. No more zoas though, they aren't as fun as other coral. I just love sandbed corals, like plates and brains. I don't have a brain in my tank...I killed the last 2 with my lighting. Well, spent a huge amount anyway. Dumped the nem. Added a plum crazy acro, a coco worm, nem crab, and a bumble bee snail ontop of the mystery brain and derasa clam.

It's an easier clam this time. You're right, forget the nem. No more zoas though, they aren't as fun as other coral. I just love sandbed corals, like plates and brains. I don't have a brain in my tank...I killed the last 2 with my lighting. Well, spent a huge amount anyway. Dumped the nem. Added a plum crazy acro, a coco worm, nem crab, and a bumble bee snail ontop of the mystery brain and derasa clam.

Lololololol I remember a few weeks ago you said that was the last of the livestock shopping for a while... Your addicted.

Ok, where was I. Been home from work for alittle bit now. Did some rearranging of the tank in anticipation of the new coral next week. First time I've been thankful about my RBTA moving to the back of the tank... Anyway, moved the birds nest...which is just massive, and it freed up a ton of space. Anyway, room in the sandbed for my brain and clam and cocoworm. A nice spot has been picked out for the new plum crazy acro as well. Gf's favorite color too.

NOW I'm officially done...nothing else will fit. Literally.

Ok, where was I. Been home from work for alittle bit now. Did some rearranging of the tank in anticipation of the new coral next week. First time I've been thankful about my RBTA moving to the back of the tank... Anyway, moved the birds nest...which is just massive, and it freed up a ton of space. Anyway, room in the sandbed for my brain and clam and cocoworm. A nice spot has been picked out for the new plum crazy acro as well. Gf's favorite color too.

NOW I'm officially done...nothing else will fit. Literally.

Won't fit?? Then it's time to frag some, sell and buy more. :)

Lol if only. There aren't many other reefers in the middle of allegheny national forest. It's a long drive down to Pittsburgh as well. That's also why all of my stuff is ordered in. I have some hairy mushrooms I found at Petco, but that's it. I was lucky to find them the day they arrived. The hunt for a larger tank continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom