Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #1481
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Alberta canada
Posts: 2,360
Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
I have to agree that you should get the mp40. You can dial it down to suit the tank and desired flow. I personally have two mp40's on my 90g running "anti-sync" and both are turned all the way up and it's great. The mp40s and led lights are two expensive upgrades that I don't think twice about, absolutely worth it.
__________________

__________________
kdpuffer is offline  
Old 12-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #1482
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,245
I think I'm pretty sold. Well see how things look this weeks paycheck. Should have an extra couple hundred thanks to my last court trip and winning the leadership award. Def makes it close to doable.
__________________

Sniperhank is offline  
Old 12-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #1483
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Alberta canada
Posts: 2,360
Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Glad to hear, you won't regret it.
__________________
kdpuffer is offline  
Old 12-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #1484
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,245
So, as I usually do a quick maintenance post in the thread...this one is a real winner. Usual water change, whatever...right? While doing this and siphoning out the cyano that has come about this week I remind myself that it might be time to change the media in the reactor. So, crawl behind the tank I go and start loosening the first reactor...but there is a rock or something under my foot! What is under my foot? The plug...reactor is plugged back in. I expect the issues to continue to recede... I'm an idiot lol.
Sniperhank is offline  
Old 12-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #1485
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dary421's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego,ca
Posts: 2,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
So, as I usually do a quick maintenance post in the thread...this one is a real winner. Usual water change, whatever...right? While doing this and siphoning out the cyano that has come about this week I remind myself that it might be time to change the media in the reactor. So, crawl behind the tank I go and start loosening the first reactor...but there is a rock or something under my foot! What is under my foot? The plug...reactor is plugged back in. I expect the issues to continue to recede... I'm an idiot lol.
Lol,.. You ain't seen nothing yet ! A couple of more years and you'll forget where you left your aquarium.
__________________
Dary421 is offline  
Old 12-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #1486
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Jmkb02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 947
Lol, we've all been there. Funny that yours is in a bloom, prob will subside now... Lol
__________________
Jmkb02 is offline  
Old 12-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #1487
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421 View Post
Lol,.. You ain't seen nothing yet ! A couple of more years and you'll forget where you left your aquarium.

If it is still a 55 in a couple years in doing it wrong.
Sniperhank is offline  
Old 12-23-2013, 09:59 PM   #1488
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Rpbustillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pensacola, Fl
Posts: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
If it is still a 55 in a couple years in doing it wrong.

+1 my 45 lasted less than a year
__________________
Rpbustillo is offline  
Old 12-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #1489
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,245
I just learned about the macro algae in my tank. I had been calling coralline, but the brown potato chip like algae is called padina sp. Really neat, my tank is filled with the stuff. Live-plants.com sells it for 8 bucks a pint.
Sniperhank is offline  
Old 12-27-2013, 01:38 AM   #1490
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,245
Well, it is official. I ordered the MP40 for my tank! Also tossed in a new RO membrane, new DI resin, and reagent for my phosphate checker. So once this all arrives, things will get squared away...leaving me to remove one, if not more, of the existing powerheads. I'm thinking about moving one into the sump and wanting to add some macro algae...I was thinking about a type of caulpera or something...Still thinking about that one, so all opinions are welcome on this one.
Sniperhank is offline  
Old 12-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #1491
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Rpbustillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pensacola, Fl
Posts: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Well, it is official. I ordered the MP40 for my tank! Also tossed in a new RO membrane, new DI resin, and reagent for my phosphate checker. So once this all arrives, things will get squared away...leaving me to remove one, if not more, of the existing powerheads. I'm thinking about moving one into the sump and wanting to add some macro algae...I was thinking about a type of caulpera or something...Still thinking about that one, so all opinions are welcome on this one.

I grow a bunch of macro in my refugium, seems to keep nitrates and phosphates down even without running a skimmer. The amount I grow has helped me eliminate nuisance algae in my display.
__________________
Rpbustillo is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 12:35 AM   #1492
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,245
So, things are going ok. Tomorrow is water change day... Only downer is that the MP40 won't show up until Thursday. Had 5 days off and it arrives when I'm back at work and won't be able to fiddle with it until Sunday when I'm off work again. Ugh!! But things are doing well, there is still one small chunk of cyano...and tbh it is probably some I missed siphoning since there has been no return since realizing my reactors were offline. I'll keep dealing with it during maintenance.
Sniperhank is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 08:08 PM   #1493
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Rpbustillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pensacola, Fl
Posts: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
So, things are going ok. Tomorrow is water change day... Only downer is that the MP40 won't show up until Thursday. Had 5 days off and it arrives when I'm back at work and won't be able to fiddle with it until Sunday when I'm off work again. Ugh!! But things are doing well, there is still one small chunk of cyano...and tbh it is probably some I missed siphoning since there has been no return since realizing my reactors were offline. I'll keep dealing with it during maintenance.

What reactors do you use?
__________________
Rpbustillo is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #1494
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,245
I run a dual reactor from BRS. I run phosguard and a "carbon" source in it...have gone from activated carbon to chemipure...but really like purigen and haven't ordered new recently.
Sniperhank is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #1495
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Rpbustillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pensacola, Fl
Posts: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
I run a dual reactor from BRS. I run phosguard and a "carbon" source in it...have gone from activated carbon to chemipure...but really like purigen and haven't ordered new recently.

Do you prefer phosguard over GFO?
__________________
Rpbustillo is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 08:24 PM   #1496
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,245
Yes I do. I hate GFO. I could never get the stuff to tumble right and it would eventually cake up. Total pain. This stuff is def best of the anti phosphate media that I've tried out once getting fed up with GFO. I liked Cobalt's new line of anti phosphate and nitrate media...but it only lasts 17 days compared to the 30 of Phosguard, atleast in my tank before I switch it out.
Sniperhank is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #1497
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Rpbustillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pensacola, Fl
Posts: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Yes I do. I hate GFO. I could never get the stuff to tumble right and it would eventually cake up. Total pain. This stuff is def best of the anti phosphate media that I've tried out once getting fed up with GFO. I liked Cobalt's new line of anti phosphate and nitrate media...but it only lasts 17 days compared to the 30 of Phosguard, atleast in my tank before I switch it out.

I'm picking up a single BRS reactor from a local guy today, what's the best place to order the phosguard?
__________________
Rpbustillo is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #1498
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,245
I order most of my stuff off of BRS. They sell a big tub of it that I got to avoid continued ordering/shipping.
Sniperhank is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 09:34 PM   #1499
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Alberta canada
Posts: 2,360
Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
I wish I could order from BRS. They only ship ups which where I live is a disaster. Shipped through them 3 times and each time was an absolute nightmare. 1st the delivered to the wrong address, 2nd they delivered over a week late, 3rd they delivered Monday when the package was to be delivered Friday. Was my xbox1 day one that ended up being a day 4. When waiting 6 months for it that extra 4 days was bs.
__________________
kdpuffer is offline  
Old 12-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #1500
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,245
But that is an issue with UPS and I'd complain...though it probably won't do much.

Well, the water change is finally done in the tank. I'm also glad I went and changed out the media in my reactors. When they were off, a ton of gunk was caught up in the sponges that needed cleaned out.

So, the only thing remaining is the skimmer on this system. Now that I need one, any suggestions?
__________________

Sniperhank is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
55 gallon, build, reef build, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.