Sniperhank's UPGRADED 55 gal Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think an ATS would be great - heard tons of good positive feedback on them. As for the terrarium, be careful that the glass isn't too thin, cause it may crack when full of water... So I was told.

Well, it might not have been a terrarium. That is just what I used it for, lol. Either way I'll check out craig'slist and pennswoods to see if there are any cheap tanks I could turn into a sump...or maybe even a sump. Though I need to get an ATO as well...so much to do.

Oh, and bumblebee goby went carpet surfing while I was asleep. Didn't make it.

The screen netting from BRS is cheap insurance for jumpers and really easy to work with. For me it was like when they chain the elephant's foot to a stake and the elephant walks in circles, and then they remove the chain and the elephant still only walks within the same circle.

I had a terrarium with a ball python baby that I was gonna use, but the glass is thinner, like 3/16", and I was told it'd crack, though I have no idea.

The screen netting from BRS is cheap insurance for jumpers and really easy to work with. For me it was like when they chain the elephant's foot to a stake and the elephant walks in circles, and then they remove the chain and the elephant still only walks within the same circle.

I had a terrarium with a ball python baby that I was gonna use, but the glass is thinner, like 3/16", and I was told it'd crack, though I have no idea.

That is a great picture being drawn about the elephant lol. That was my first jumper, I'm strangely not concerned...he hadn't been eating and I wasn't expecting him to make it. When I get home I'll be searching for my indigo dottyback. He hides while the lights are out and I couldn't find him, but he wasn't around my tank on the floor so here's hoping.

If my terrarium is an actual terrarium, then yes it will crack. I'm just not sure if that is what it is. I stumbled upon the thing in college after the year was over. Everyone always tosses out great stuff that they just don't want to drag home for the summer, so I would gather some pals up and go hunting. I had some friends that literally went around with a truck to gather stuff up and then sold it at a yard sale lol. Anyway, I'll look at the tank when I get home to see what's up with it. There is a chance that it is a long tank since it didn't have a top and I had to build one.

Well, checking over the tank most of the crap is gone. Still some stuff in the sand that I'll end up siphoning out while I'm cleaning. Have to take breaks for how badly the water column gets filled with all the crap. Also, now my skimmer is pushing tons of microbubbles into my tank and I have no clue why. I've tried adjusting the air intake, no avail. I hate that seaclone skimmer...think the red slime remover could have caused this? It said specifically to not turn off the skimmer.

I think as far as cheap skimmers go coralife is better than sea clone and they don't even cost as much. I don't like the pin wheel skimmers as much as a spray injection. Aqua c makes good skimmers

What kind of rodi u it do u have sniper. I just bought a Buckeye field supply rodi 5 stage unit. The 5th stage is dedicated to breaking down chloramine and I have that in my tap water. I'm interested in what other people have.

Still waiting on it to come though I hope I got a good one and didn't waste just over 200 bucks.

I've seen the buckeye units and it should be fine. :) I don't run that filter for chloramines cause I dont think my water supply has an issue with them. I have a 5 stage BRS unit right now, one sediment filter, two carbon filters, 50gpd membrane and a single DI canister. I have water going in at about 20 TDS and coming out at 0. No nitrates or phosphates either. :-D

Some don't have cloramines but I would be surpised if u don't have any. Chlorine breaks down fast so they use chloramine instead. Actually chloramine is also created buy some chemical process between chlorine and whatever else I don't remember if I'm not mistaken. Atleast they use it here in Pittsburgh. Ur lucky if u don't have any. I live in an apartment and have no control over the pressure coming into my place so I hope it is in the range of what the unit needs. I should have checked but didn't feel like it. I guess if anything I could get a booster pump. This unit should save me around 500 bucks a year if not more

No doubt, the ro/di unit is one of the best purchases you will make for your tank. SAves money, time and effort. I live in a house and use my backyard garden hose for my unit so I have the 65psi needed. Luckily. lol

I have a 2 stage coralife RO/DI. I want a better one...just like my skimmer. Work in progress. I want to get one of the 5 stages from BRS that carey mentioned. As for skimmer, I won't think about that until I start building a new sump. That won't come for awhile either.

Anyway, did another major overhaul on the tank today. Continuing to clean up the mess. Scrubbed down all sides of the tank. The addition of the marineland maxi-jet 1200 has made a considerable difference in the flow of the tank. Don't think I like it put together as I did it, so I'll be changing it up later.

I also took my skimmer off and am cleaning it. I actually have cyano growing INSIDE the tornado chamber...can't see inside the thing. It's running on a bucket with vinegar. Has only been going for 40 minutes and you can see the difference already.

Also got my salinity in the tank down to 1.028. I'm still dumbfounded as to how it is moving so slow. Removing 5 gallons of saltwater and adding straight ro/di should make a larger change imo, but a .002 drop won't stress out my fish.

The fish are doing better btw. The clowns are happy now that the royal gramma is out of the tank and my indigo dottyback has taken up residence in a big cave rock I set up for a goby. He has become alot more active as well, I'm accrediting that to the salinity.

As for the corals, still housed in the 36. The ric is doing great. The duncan is finally starting to show its tentacles. This is a flow issue, I moved the PHs around and it opens up more...just dont have enough flow in that tank for corals to begin with! The scroll is existing. No polyp extension, but has shown no signs of bleaching! That was my biggest worry that it would bleach like everything else has. The acan and chalice didn't make it though. They are now sitting on my porch with the worm brain's corpse. Even their skeletons are pretty, maybe I'll do something with them after I finally get my tanks under control, as the 36 is up to 1.030 salinity now... Just don't ask me how I'm pulling this off. I'm literally mixing water up with the help of my refractometer, calibrated everytime with ro/di, to give me 1.021 salinity.

Also, I was dosing both tanks to raise alkalinity since it was at 7. Haven't tested since, but the duncan started doing better right after I dosed and has continued to show improvement.

I don't have access to the pressure regulator at my place. Even if u didn't have the OSI needed Carey if u have city water u should be able to increase it. If I'm not mistaken 65 is just right otherwise thjbgs like ur water heater in ir house may not last as long. I just hope they have my place set right. Can't wait till I buy a house. Just don't know where to plop down. My spouse and I were thinking of cape coral Florida because we like the canals behind the houses. U live in Florida right

Bleach to clean it. U can neutralize it with the prime stuff I believe. I use peroxide to clean things like socks because I think the bleach just makes it white while the peroxide actually dissolves the algae and what not caught in the fibers

I added some peroxide as well. It was coming really clean with just the bleach, just needed some help. In awesome news, I've been adjusting the flow to get my duncan 100% happy. So, as I was just checking on it I saw something odd. I knew exactly what it was, so I picked it up and was even more surprised. It wasn't one bristle starfish, it was 5 mini bristles!

I actually don't clean my skimmer with anythjng but water. It comes clean but I do clean filter socks. I have a baby brittle star maybe to the hang their legs out of my rocks.

Also with peroxide it just turns to oxygen inside ur tank. If u ever have a power outage u can use peroxide to give ur tank oxygen

Good idea, I remember that from high school science class lol. But the reason for actually cleaning it is that it was so thick and caked inside it wouldn't budge. I remember having a clear skimmer...not a brown one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom