Sniperhank's UPGRADED 55 gal Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. I'm really proud of my coco worm as they are so difficult to keep in our aquariums. He's been with me for so long, I actually forgot when I got him, but it's been over a year.

Thanks. I'm really proud of my coco worm as they are so difficult to keep in our aquariums. He's been with me for so long, I actually forgot when I got him, but it's been over a year.

How do u take care of it?

In all honesty, I don't do anything special. I don't feed it or the feather duster in my tank at all. So whatever it is eating grows on its own in my system and replenishes itself. The only thing I add to the tank is mysis or brine gut loaded shrimp for the fish and pods for the mandarin.

Quick update, the cheato and pods arrived today from R2G. Typical pod package with no surprises. Same goes with the cheato. I put half the pods into the display, and the fish of course go nuts as always. The other half I dumped into the 'refugium' with the caulerpa and padina, cheato also added. What does this mean you say? To keep the pods going, the light will need to change to an actual light cycle rather than on 24 hours. So, we'll see what happens with the caulerpa.

Quick update, the cheato and pods arrived today from R2G. Typical pod package with no surprises. Same goes with the cheato. I put half the pods into the display, and the fish of course go nuts as always. The other half I dumped into the 'refugium' with the caulerpa and padina, cheato also added. What does this mean you say? To keep the pods going, the light will need to change to an actual light cycle rather than on 24 hours. So, we'll see what happens with the caulerpa.
Interesting. I keep all my fuge lights in 24/7 and keep good pod supplies. So much in fact I have a couple pod hunters in with my mandarin & he only eats pods & is fat!

Really? It was my general belief that they needed the 24 hour light cycle and being blasted with light all day would drive them to death. Guess I won't work so hard and turn the timer on then! Thanks.

Any thoughts on what brand of salt to use next? Reef crystals, kent, and Red Sea pro down.

I'm very happy with reef crystals and for the price you can't beat it. Every now and again its a little low on the calcium but that can be supplemented inexpensively. Ever since I made the switch to it I've seen great results.

That's the two I didn't like. Took much effort and time to get it to mix. No where close to the level of Kent's or even the 4 hr for Red Sea...though you should mix for longer it shows quality in the salt.

Foster & Smith has Kent 200g boxes for $45...I think with a few extra bucks added, the shipping is free. I've never ordered online, but that is less than anything local to me. I may add some coral dip to push the order into free shipping.

Nothing major at this time today really. Did the water change last night. I 'rolled' the macro in the refugium some as well. Clams are doing well, though I still keep a close eye on the small b/w maxima. Still debating which salt I'll be trying out this time around, I might end up back at kent.
In other news, I stumbled upon this gem this morning:
Ecotech Marine & Aqua Illumination announce landmark merger
All I know is 'holy crap'. Looks like we will be forever killing the 'which is better, Radion or AI' debate and adding into 'man the radion or ai were so much better before the merge' argument instead. But really, they will all still be there how they are now. Still means big things. Can't wait to see what comes out now for my beloved Ecotech products.

Still situation normal here in the system overall. I finally had a full cup of skim to be emptied last week and was very happy to see that. It was also reminded by aquaplanner that I needed to switch out my Phosguard. I somehow misplaced it and since I had to fix an issue with my kitchen sink, I put the remainder of my GFO in. Going to use this as a small experiment by watching my phosphates, as I do have a fresh pack of reagents to monitor. Once the GFO needs changed out I'll see what the Phosguard is doing in terms of phosphate removal. One thing that you can read about with Phosguard is people posting about how it will be very effective for ~4 days before it can't handle anymore and then 'leach' alumina out...I know the alumina part isn't true under normal pH levels so this isn't a worry at all. I am more interested in seeing phosphate levels in the system after day 4, 7, and so on through that month by weekly testing. It'll be interesting.
My concern for the smallest maxima clam is growing. I actually thought that it had a hole in the middle of the mantle today. Upon really looking at it, you can simply see through it. Mantle is still extended, just no real growth seen on the shell that I can see. Just not really sure what it is doing...hoping more experience chimes in with experience with this. I see the signs of 'not good', but I'm not sure what the next step is since this isn't a 'freshwater dip' cure or pyramid snail issue that I'm familiar with.

Through continued observation and thought, the translucence in my smallest maxima is most likely pinched mantle. I'm going to try to warm up some RO tomorrow in the tank and do a freshwater dip as I am quite attached to this little b/w clam. I don't have much luck with these small clams and I'm going to keep going with this guy.

Did a freshwater dip on the b/w maxima. Has pretty good reaction time, I was surprised. We'll see how things go from here.
So, what are my phosphates with the GFO currently running? .06 ppm. Not bad if I don't say so myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom