Sniperhank's UPGRADED 55 gal Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very happy today. The maxima is extended without signs of issues with the mantle. The derasa has an odd fold in its mantle so I'll be keeping an eye on it, just think it is acting a fool to make me give it another distilled water bath.

We don't really know what causes pinched mantle. The leading belief is stemming from one celled organisms that normally live with the clam without issue, but when stressed causes the pinched mantle. During the freshwater dip, you also take a turkey baster and blow the water under the mantle to wash out as many of these guys as you can...atleast that is the belief that you are doing.

And the clams look great so far. Continuing to watch them. But, as I'm doing this I noticed that the orange clownfish wasn't swimming around with the b/w one. Where was it you say? Jumper you say? Nope! It was busy swimming around inside the rbta! I'll take a symbiotic relationship.

Just as an update, I woke up from an after work nap to discover both clowns in my anemone. Of course you can't get close to take a picture...as the anemone is at the back of the tank as well... Also, I ordered the usual BOGO pods from reefs2go. I noticed my mandarin wasn't as fat as he had been so figured it's time. While I was at it, I picked up a zoa on my way out...maybe I've finally got bit by the bug? We'll see.
But I did take pictures of my clams who are doing well. You can see below, ignoring it is still the iphone:

And my coco worm

Then the macro algae that just started growing here several months ago. It has doubled in size, easily. Might be close to time to cut some off and send it off somewhere.

Tried to address the skimmer issue again with Coralvue. Was really hoping for a different answer this time around, but told the skimmer is too big for the system again.
Little to no foam production

I was hoping for a better explaination, tbh, but not much I can do about it. I left the skimmer running in vinegar solution before I left for work and plugged the old seaclone skimmer in.

Rp, you'll have to get in line there are a handful of people that want some of this macro. Just not enough of it to go around.

So, Did more maintenance to the tank. Cleaned out as much algae as I could. Then siphoned the sump...one more chamber to go...maybe should pull the whole thing down and clean it to continue address algae issue.
I have a reefs2go order coming as I needed pods. I also added several blue leg hermits as they were BOGO, like the pods. And along with that, I added a Lord of the Rings polyp. I've never really liked zoas, but I really liked it when I saw it. Here's hoping it does well!
Skimmer situation still dire, reef octopus is out and the little sea clone hasn't broke in yet...

Things continue as planned. Pods and blue legged hermits came in yesterday along with the Lord of the Rings zoa I couldn't pass up. Zoa hasn't opened up yet. I'm gathering up enough water for a massive water change. Going to be doing this via the sump, which I am going to take down and totally clean out to remove the remaining detrius I haven't been able to siphon out.

Also, I love clams. So, I just had to link this.
SquamoCea – introducing the new Tridacna giant clam hybrid

Oh, and I'm trying to come up with a plan to address my low flow. In a tank with 5 power heads that used to run great, it has settled down to so little, especially in the corners. I actually have some cyano showing up in the one. I've even pointed power heads down at the sandbed to help and it hasn't done anything.

Hank seeing that you like the clams so much I recommend if you ever make it out my way you stop at the Academy of Sciences in SF. Massive clams (18" +) with brilliant colors. Next time I'm there I will try to snap some pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom