Sniperhank's UPGRADED 55 gal Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh, I see now. Very simple but nicely done. Those hydo lights will probably grow some algae pretty good. Did you drill several holes above then screen in the PVC, or does the screen actually slide into the pipe? I definitely want to see a video of it running! Ace, the helpful place... I love it! (They can be a little overpriced IMO though. I like to go with Lowes.)

The entire piece slides up into the pipe and is held in by the zip ties, rather than hanging loose.
For the record, Ace can't be overpriced if the stir sticks were free! I did all my shopping at my local building supply. They know me and all my crazy aquarium shenanigans.

The entire piece slides up into the pipe and is held in by the zip ties, rather than hanging loose.
For the record, Ace can't be overpriced if the stir sticks were free! I did all my shopping at my local building supply. They know me and all my crazy aquarium shenanigans.

Ok cool, makes sense. Thats how they real you in.... free paints sticks! LOL

So, ATS is up and running so here are the continued thoughts on it. I need to add another drain on it as there is about an inch of water on the bottom currently. That with a leak here and there, I will still call it a success. Hopefully will get out to get the other clip on light this weekend for the other hydroponics LED and grab the small piece for the return and put it all together again. Pretty simple stuff.
Been so busy haven't had much time to do anything else besides a water change with the tank. It seems that my fairy wrasse has vanished. Might have been hiding, but with my wrasse track record I doubt it. It might simply be that every 3 days feeding isn't enough for them like it is for everything else.

Minor setback with the ats. The silicone in one area have and was leaking. It was splashing on the stand and leaking out. Solved that with a filter sock for the time being. Thought it was too thin when I did it. But what this did prove is that another drain is needed, as the water level is where it needs to be now.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Was able to get into the hardware store before work today and get the fitting I've used as a drain to make the second drain. I took the ATS offline so it would be dry and able to work with it by the time I arrive home from work so I can drill the hole and silicone it into place. I will also be redoing the drain pipe from the original so it goes into the water line rather than fall into it to quiet it down. Will also be taking the length of silicone off along the bottom and reapplying in a much more generous manner as it wasn't enough to hold the water in and failed, creating a minor mess. This should address any issues remaining besides missing the second hydroponics light as I need to take a trip into town to get an actual clip on work light.
ALL that aside...there is already algae growth starting on the screen. I was very happy to see this this morning when I shut everything down. I spend some time pulling algae out after lights out when I got home from work, cutting out about an hour of sleep between my turn around shift, as the algae has been creeping up since taking the algae system offline.

Sounds like its gonna work out pretty good for you. The algae growth already is a good sign indeed. Can't wait to see how it does running top shape after a while.

You should use acrylic glue instead of silicon on the box. I ended up ditching the box and left it open so the box wouldn't get grimey and block light. The diffuser bar is held up with a PVC pipe bracket. Instead of zip ties, I made narrow rings out of a larger sized pipe ( the plumbing store gave me a short 6" piece for free). Then a small cut in the ring allows the screen to be inserted (then twist the ring a 1/4 turn to hold it in). Works like a charm, took a couple seconds to make and is quicker to use than a zip tie.

Hm, never thought about the acrylic glue...either way there is silicone laying around the house by the ton. Free is the best kind, just like the paint sticks holding the box in place.
I like your idea for the screen, but this screen won't be removed from the pipe as the pipe unscrews at the 90 degree elbow and simply lifts out.
Either way, some additional silicon on the inside of the second drain to hold the pipe in place. The issue with this hole is that I grabbed a larger size than I needed in my rush to get in and out so I wasn't late for work. Either way, it'll hold...probably.

Got the second hydroponics LED hooked up and things are basically good to go. I need to get it on a timer, but run out of room for it. I'll manually manage for the time being.
I also wanted to point out sometimes the importance not to jump to conclusions. I reported some time ago about how the flame scallop was such a bad idea. This seemed like a good statement as it vanished during a heavy stretch at work and there was a shell sticking up from the sandbed. While investigating my tank with a red light tonight...there it was, happily filter feeding from under a rock almost in the back of the tank. Dumbfounded, but pleased. Now I need to figure out when it got put in for how long I've kept it.

Got the second hydroponics LED hooked up and things are basically good to go. I need to get it on a timer, but run out of room for it. I'll manually manage for the time being.
I also wanted to point out sometimes the importance not to jump to conclusions. I reported some time ago about how the flame scallop was such a bad idea. This seemed like a good statement as it vanished during a heavy stretch at work and there was a shell sticking up from the sandbed. While investigating my tank with a red light tonight...there it was, happily filter feeding from under a rock almost in the back of the tank. Dumbfounded, but pleased. Now I need to figure out when it got put in for how long I've kept it.

I'm glad he appeared, that's great news! (y) Those are the ones that have some kind of "electric power/light" for lack of better terms, right?

No. That is the electric flame scallop. I wish it did that.

Ah, okay thanks! Both sound like fun organisms to observe. I did see one in person in 2011 at a LFS, but haven't seen one since. They probably aren't imported as much as other creatures due to their level of difficulty. They are so stunning though!

Just chiming in on the flame scallops - kept an electric flame for a little over four months, but one day it disappeared after a water change (weird!) Fascinating creature, and the flashing behavior seems to really respond to the environment like the colors of a foxface. Made a little acrylic box for feeding phyto and zooplanktons, seemed to work alright.

On the tank, looking great - wish I had the time to improve the tank with similar DIY projects. So this current project is an algae scrubber? Sorry haven't read back enough yet.

It is. I am quite pleased over all. Some minor drip leaks here and htere...but nothing that I'm concerned over in all honesty. It was actually really easy to do and didn't take up that much of my time, especially when compared to how long I was up last night pulling algae off of rocks.

Quick note in between shifts. Came home and red lighted the tank to see what was going on. There in my large duncan is the small orange clown, rubbing around like it was an anemone. Check the anemone, there is the large black female doing its thing. Possible lovers quarrel? Better not hurt my duncan, we'll see what is going on in the morning.

Well, clown has no interest in leaving my large duncan alone. I haven't seen any signs of it stressing it out...so I guess I'll let it slide. It is very odd as I've watched both clowns continue to interact together and...I guess 'show affection' is the best way to describe it...but the orange is in the duncan and the black goes to the RBTA at night.
Also, I totally forgot about the Purigen I was recharging on the porch. Rather than 8 hours in prime, it got about 2 days...rinsed it out well this afternoon and I don't smell any remaining bleach and it is very white. I'm going to give it another smell tomorrow as my allergies are acting up some, only because I tried to recharge it still in the panty hose I run Purigen in and want to ensure no bleach remains in that either. Sounds like project success!

A couple full tank shots.

As one can see, the coraline in the tank has exploded in growth. The credit card just isn't cutting it now. Any ideas besides razor blading it off?
And in the last tank shot, you can see the marine beta right after it shot out of the rocks and puffed up to intimidate me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom