So I'm finally starting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, lighting doesn't matter at all until you add coral. Good luck with the cycle, and keep us posted!! :)

I really like your scape it looks really good. I just got done cycling my 55g tank. I did not use the raw shrimp method but from reading on this forum some people said it stinks! And some people said they didn't smell anything so idk on that one! Gl in the future and I will be following along

The shrimp doesn't smell to great after a few days. :( I'll only be using liquid ammonia from now on to cycle. Smells a lot better. :)

Did my 77 gallons with 2 raw shrimp... Didnt smell a thing lol

and for another public diary post.

pH 8.0-8.2
ammonia 1.0-2.0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0

i added a little cured live rock rubble from my mixing bucket to filter, hopefully it has some bb in it.

Nitrite spike!!!!!
New tests

Looks like ph stabilized at 8.2
Ammo 1.0
Nitrite 2.0-5.0
Nitrate 0.0-5.0

Attachments

• image-659534996.jpg
    image-659534996.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 70
Hey coel
out of curiousity just by looking at picture #1 it seems ur tank is not level right ?

Ah nvm it might be ur powerhead giving the false illusion :0

It is the slightest bit off, I'm planning on trying to level when I do my pwc after my cycle that way half the water will be out and like 100+lbs

Livestock questions since I'm almost there

I know my first few fish are going to be 3 juvenile green chromis but I had a few questions.

Are there any mid sized hermits that are reef safe? Even if I can only get one

And for gobies I was thinking of doing a shrimp goby do you need to put them and the shrimp in at the same time?

Yeah. There's Alot of small-medium sized hermits that are reef safe. I think my favorite are electric blue legged hermits.

The goby pistol pair, it helps to ad them at the same time. And aclimate them together Ect. But there's a decent chance they'll pair up even if you add them months apart.

I was at my lfs yesterday and he told me red leg hermits are better than blue because when he buys 3-4 k at a time more reds last than blues. Would this be true?

TommyP said:
I was at my lfs yesterday and he told me red leg hermits are better than blue because when he buys 3-4 k at a time more reds last than blues. Would this be true?

Kinda. Scarlets seem to be less aggressive towards each other. I've noticed my blues tend to gang up on eachother lol

and today
ammo is 0.5
nitrite 5.0
nitrate 10ppm

and sorry to be using this as my personal log =)

If you put hermits in there make sure you put plenty of shells (empty of course) for them to move into as the grow. Otherwise they will kill whatever has the shell they want whether it be a snail, another hermit ot whatever.

Back
Top Bottom