So im new...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You would mix your salt with the RO/DI water then test for the proper SG (specific Gravity or Salinity) then use a power head and a heater to mix the mixture for at least 24 hrs ahead of your water change. The heater is to bring the temp. up to the same as your tank water. Then siphon out your water in a PWC and replace that water with the New(fresh) saltwater that you just mixed up. Done...Sounds like alot of work but after the first time it's a snap.

Last edited:
Thanks! Also at my LFS they sell premixed salt water by the gallon. Have you guys heard or seen that before? Is that okay to buy? Whats the disadvantages of that water?

People do it all the time. Expensive and no gaurantee they used up to date filters on their RO/DI units. If ya can, test it for phosphates.

I just picked up 5 gallons of it for 4.99, i tested the salinity and its perfect so im just letting it run with the heater and a power head I just purchased for 24 hrs.

Also Ive heard that after a while, you dont need to use a overhang filter anymore if you just go with a power head or something along those lines? anyone wanna clear that u for me?

Okay it's like this. If you have 1 1/2-2 pounds of live rock per gallon of tank water your LR becomes your filter. The PH is to keep the water moving. In a 14g your weekly PWC replaces the need for a skimmer and also replaces the elements that are used and also removes nitrates. That's it.

The powerhead (PH) also provides needed oxygen in the water. Without a PH or filter moving the water, fish die from suffocation.

The reason a power head seems to add oxygen is that the movement of water helps to remove CO2 and because of this your water takes on more O2. The same goes for a bubble defuser. The bubble don't add oxygen it removes Carbon dioxide making room for the water to take on more oxygen.

Gotcha. Well I have about 12-14 lbs or rock so I dont think im ready to remove the filter, but if I get a skimmer does that mean I dont have to do PWC's? Not that I dont want to or against it im just wondering.

Id keep the skimmer in to catch anything that is floating

"but if I get a skimmer does that mean I dont have to do PWC's?" No, no, no, Your skimmer won't get everything. It's just part of your filter system. On a tank as small as your's it would be a waste of money. One of the main reasons for doing a PWC is to remove nitrates. and as jom said to replace elements that are used up by your tank animals.

ok so no skimmer got it lol

Well today I did my first PWC and i would say it didnt go as well as I hoped. I syphoned the water out and everything was fine. I did 5 Gallons and of course the fish got scared and schooled to the bottom. I had to turn the filter off bc it was making a weird noise and it stopped working bc of lack of water but its okay bc I wanted to wash the actual filter also. So i got 5 gallons out and then I started to add the new water but because the tank is so high it stirred everything up and now the tank is cloudy and the fish look agitated. Idk, I just cant imagine doing this once a week. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this a better experience for the fish? I also found 3 miniscule snails and Im also going to get a scarlet shrimp tomorrow after I test the water.

First, you only have a 14g tank. All you need to do is 2 to 2 1/2 gallons of water change a week.

O ok I thought 30% was what I needed to change but 2.5 gallons is a lot better then

As long as you are doing them weekly. In a small tank things can go south fast. Oh, so many Aussies on this site, maybe I should say...North. lol

Last edited:
The chromis will get used to it eventually. Next time try to pour the water in a bit slower, so it doesn't displace as much sand. With the smaller PWC doing that should be easier. If you can somehow get the bucket higher than your tank, you could use the siphon to get the new water in too.

The chromis will get used to it eventually. Next time try to pour the water in a bit slower, so it doesn't displace as much sand. With the smaller PWC doing that should be easier. If you can somehow get the bucket higher than your tank, you could use the siphon to get the new water in too.

Yea thats what I tried doing at first bc that seemed smarter, but i could figure out a way with 5 gallons, 2.5 gallons should be no problem.

New addition!

Jean-Pierre the Cleaner Shrimp! Hes acclimating right now!

img_1093665_0_47a1ac891fa7e41d00530c88eaf6b27f.jpg

Back
Top Bottom